What's new
What's new

Santa Just dropped this off in my garage - new Hurco VM10

TonyStark

Aluminum
A few months ago I decided to bite the bullet and put a more serious VMC in my garage. I had an older Prolight 2000 that I completely rebuilt with Mach4 and some nice Teknic servos, but it just wan't cutting it any more. I had also been using a Haas VF2 SS at a local maker space for awhile so I got to know my way around a "real" machine with a Cat40 ATC, probe, etc.

After lurking around on this forum and doing alot of research, I decided to go with a Hurco VM10i Plus. The Plus isn't even on Hurco's website - but its a VM10 that includes alot of options as standard (chip auger, dual screen, spindle chiller, etc plus a 12k Big+ spindle from their VMX machines and some upgraded ballscrews.

The other machines I looked at were Haas Mini Mill and Brother X700, and even a DMG Mori 700 MillTap. I know my way around the Haas control (although I can't say I like it) but the SMini has a much smaller bed in the same footprint machine (20x12 vs Hurco 26x16). The Hurco is really very compact for its travel sizes - Only 6' x 5' and 80ish inches tall. It was an easy fit under my garage door. The riggers drove it right in (hopefully before any of my nosy neighbors could see!) With the holiday it will be another week or so before I can get it powered up and have my dealer back out to finish setting it up, so its going to painful, but at least its in the door!

Thanks to all the other machinist that have posted threads about machines in their garages - helpful to know that I wasn't (completely) crazy to try and do this..

VM10i_forklift2.jpg

VM10i_forklift3.jpg

Vm10i_Garage.jpg

Vm10i_Inside.jpg

Vm10i_Control.jpg

Congratulations, that is a cute little son of a gun. How about a few specs on the new machine... rpms, feed rates, rapid rates, tool change, cost...

PS I don't think that little 120 volt outlet behind the machine in picture 3 is going to run that machine :)

Congratulations! I wanted a VM-10, but was told by Hurco (and a local dealer who had one on the floor) that there was no way I could get it under my 80" garage door without significant disassembly. Are you sure you don't have a standard 7' door?

That thing looks great - now I will forever wonder if I could've fit a Hurco when I look at my Sharp.

Congratulations! I own a VMX, and have not regretted the decision.
Hurco makes really good machines, for what I do. This machine handles typical stuff, but also a lot of aluminum molds.

Doug.

Congratulations on the new machine! What is the upgraded ball screws? If that mill is as low as it looks, like my little Kitamura, you may want to have some steel plate feet flame cut. I had some cut from 3" plate and it really helped put the mill at a better height for me, just make sure it doesn't cause problems for the auger and coolant tank.

And damn nice garage!

I was just looking through your photos again, that looks like a nice little mill, and noticed in photo 3 that it looks like there is some thick flooring the mill will be sitting on. If this is true then you should remove the sections under the feet so they are setting on bare concrete.

A few months ago I decided to bite the bullet and put a more serious VMC in my garage. I had an older Prolight 2000 that I completely rebuilt with Mach4 and some nice Teknic servos, but it just wan't cutting it any more. I had also been using a Haas VF2 SS at a local maker space for awhile so I got to know my way around a "real" machine with a Cat40 ATC, probe, etc.

After lurking around on this forum and doing alot of research, I decided to go with a Hurco VM10i Plus. The Plus isn't even on Hurco's website - but its a VM10 that includes alot of options as standard (chip auger, dual screen, spindle chiller, etc plus a 12k Big+ spindle from their VMX machines and some upgraded ballscrews.

The other machines I looked at were Haas Mini Mill and Brother X700, and even a DMG Mori 700 MillTap. I know my way around the Haas control (although I can't say I like it) but the SMini has a much smaller bed in the same footprint machine (20x12 vs Hurco 26x16). The Hurco is really very compact for its travel sizes - Only 6' x 5' and 80ish inches tall. It was an easy fit under my garage door. The riggers drove it right in (hopefully before any of my nosy neighbors could see!) With the holiday it will be another week or so before I can get it powered up and have my dealer back out to finish setting it up, so its going to painful, but at least its in the door!

Thanks to all the other machinist that have posted threads about machines in their garages - helpful to know that I wasn't (completely) crazy to try and do this..

View attachment 216160

View attachment 216161

View attachment 216162

View attachment 216163

View attachment 216164

Are you going to put Mach4 on the Hurco?

Congratulations, that is a cute little son of a gun. How about a few specs on the new machine... rpms, feed rates, rapid rates, tool change, cost...

PS I don't think that little 120 volt outlet behind the machine in picture 3 is going to run that machine :)

Sure thing! - here are some specs:
26"x16"x20" XYZ
12k Cat40 Big Plus Spindle, 15hp, 20 ATC, Rigid Tapping
945ipm feed / rapids, 2.5sec tool to tool
The "Plus" version includes the spindle chiller, chip auger, and some software stuff as standard that I would have gotten anyway
Other options I got were - dual 19" touchscreen, Renishaw Probe
The VM10i lists for $59k, I paid a bit more than that with all of the options / plus model.
Also, the footprint is around 6' x 5' so nice and compact overall.

As far as the outlet - it is a 20Amp - will that work? :) Actually my electrician just ran a 100amp subpanel - probably overkill but will give some extra room for other toys. I have a American Rotary phase converter that needs to get hooked up still.

I was just looking through your photos again, that looks like a nice little mill, and noticed in photo 3 that it looks like there is some thick flooring the mill will be sitting on. If this is true then you should remove the sections under the feet so they are setting on bare concrete.

Sure sits nicely in that little alcove like bit with the window!

That little alcove has a flat floor - so its just raised from the garage that pitches towards the garage doors. Thicker concrete as a bonus. The "thick flooring" is just a 3" step - its all coated with epoxy finish so it almost looks like vinyl flooring.

What is the garage door height? Std 7'?

Congratulations! I wanted a VM-10, but was told by Hurco (and a local dealer who had one on the floor) that there was no way I could get it under my 80" garage door without significant disassembly. Are you sure you don't have a standard 7' door?

That thing looks great - now I will forever wonder if I could've fit a Hurco when I look at my Sharp.

My door is 7-10" clear opening, its an 8' door. The machine is around 85" without the feet, and you can get that down about another 6" (I think) if you remove the motors for the toolchanger and maybe the Z - which really wouldn't be that hard. I found a video on youtube from Hurco UK that mentions you can get it in a 2 meter (79") door so it can be done.

Are you going to put Mach4 on the Hurco?
Not sure if that is a joke?

Nice does it have a jog pendant as well or is just the buttons?

Its got a jog pendant - it magnetically attaches to that cutout in the control so you can use it from console as well.

Current artical in CTE has users praising the Hurco controls.

Poll offers snapshot of what matters to CNC users | Cutting Tool Engineering

Thanks for the link, it makes me feel better about my purchase!

I come from a design / engineering background - and while I have no problem picking up a new UI, most of the ones out there just seem backwards. The big guys like Mazak and DMG seem to be on the right track. Haas and Fanuc just seem archaic. The "little" guys like Tormach and Mach 3 /4 have controls that are easier to pick up than most.

One thing that drew me to the control of the Hurco was the conversational. While I won't use it a whole lot as I can do most tasks quicker with CAD/CAM packages, little thing like facing, boring etc are nice to have in the control. Also, when I expand out of my garage and start hiring, alot of my hires will be people with design and engineering backgrounds - I want them to be able to prototype and build their ideas on their own - and this is a great machine for that.

Well now I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse! Congrats on your new machine, keep us updated when you're making chips.

Well now I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse! Congrats on your new machine, keep us updated when you're making chips.

Those Sharp's are nice machines as well - I forgot to mention that when I listed the other options I looked at. The rapids on those machines are double what the Hurco is. The enclosure is nice as well that it doesn't feel like you are working in a cave.

Sure thing! - here are some specs:
26"x16"x20" XYZ
12k Cat40 Big Plus Spindle, 15hp, 20 ATC, Rigid Tapping
945ipm feed / rapids, 2.5sec tool to tool
The "Plus" version includes the spindle chiller, chip auger, and some software stuff as standard that I would have gotten anyway
Other options I got were - dual 19" touchscreen, Renishaw Probe
The VM10i lists for $59k, I paid a bit more than that with all of the options / plus model.
Also, the footprint is around 6' x 5' so nice and compact overall.

As far as the outlet - it is a 20Amp - will that work? :) Actually my electrician just ran a 100amp subpanel - probably overkill but will give some extra room for other toys. I have a American Rotary phase converter that needs to get hooked up still.

That little alcove has a flat floor - so its just raised from the garage that pitches towards the garage doors. Thicker concrete as a bonus. The "thick flooring" is just a 3" step - its all coated with epoxy finish so it almost looks like vinyl flooring.

My door is 7-10" clear opening, its an 8' door. The machine is around 85" without the feet, and you can get that down about another 6" (I think) if you remove the motors for the toolchanger and maybe the Z - which really wouldn't be that hard. I found a video on youtube from Hurco UK that mentions you can get it in a 2 meter (79") door so it can be done.

Not sure if that is a joke?

Its got a jog pendant - it magnetically attaches to that cutout in the control so you can use it from console as well.

The only reason I ask is all you Mach guys think it is the greatest, yep Mach and steppers, now that's the shit man!

Nice machine. Hurco has been on my radar for one of these days when the time comes for a new machine. Limited choices on machines that fit through a standard door.

Back