Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    The only reason I ask is all you Mach guys think it is the greatest, yep Mach and steppers, now that's the shit man!
    Hah - well my little Prolight was rebuilt with servos! Actually, I still have the original servos - it was the "2000" model so it came with them stock. Steppers drive me nuts when I am running a job that is longer than 5 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The riggers drove it right in (hopefully before any of my nosy neighbors could see!)

If you run it much, it will be hard to keep under your hat.
    Even with the door closed...

---------------------------

It's a fie day for a new machine install!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Z column won't hit the ceiling when the machine goes to Home?

Looks close...

PM

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmetal View Post
    The Z column won't hit the ceiling when the machine goes to Home?

Looks close...

PM
    It's got about a foot, the ceiling is over 9' in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Ox
    The garage doors are insulated/ edge sealed and it's amazing how much that cuts the noise down. The rest of the garage is precast concrete with rigid foam insulation plus fiberglass insulation then drywall. Worst case I might put some large doors on that large dropped beam seen in the first pic. Once I start cutting I am going to measure outside with a db meter just to see how loud it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you get if from Alta?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't forget a mist collector and a way to constantly bring fresh air in the garage.

7. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats !. That looks like a great machine. I'm in a similar situation in my garage but am ready for a "real machine". Currently using a POS chinese machine with Mach (Like a bigger Tormach with servos instead of steppers), but my work envelope is bigger than the Haas mini which is a deal killer. That Hurco looks perfect for my space/needs. I have one of those american rotary phase converters (for working with Fanuc robots, not my mill), and it is loud despite the advertising. As long as the mill is running you wont notice, but idle drives me nuts. I have it on a piano dolly and roll it outside and close the garage door. Thanks for posting and keep us updated. I wanna see some video of chips slamming into the door :-).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beaverracing View Post
    Did you get if from Alta?
    Yup! I can't speak to their service as this is my first machine, but they definitely made the purchase process simple and straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    Don't forget a mist collector and a way to constantly bring fresh air in the garage.
    I have been looking at mist collectors - any recommendations? Nederman was one that came up in my searches. The thought of drilling a big hole in the roof of my machine sounds a bit intimidating though!

Quote Originally Posted by Wsurfer View Post
    Congrats !. That looks like a great machine. I'm in a similar situation in my garage but am ready for a "real machine". Currently using a POS chinese machine with Mach (Like a bigger Tormach with servos instead of steppers), but my work envelope is bigger than the Haas mini which is a deal killer. That Hurco looks perfect for my space/needs. I have one of those american rotary phase converters (for working with Fanuc robots, not my mill), and it is loud despite the advertising. As long as the mill is running you wont notice, but idle drives me nuts. I have it on a piano dolly and roll it outside and close the garage door. Thanks for posting and keep us updated. I wanna see some video of chips slamming into the door :-).
    The funny thing is that spec wise the Hurco is closer to a Hass VF2SS (not the mini). That thing is HUGE compared to the VM10 - 30" more depth and 18" wider for only a 4" larger X travel. I don't know what takes up all of that extra space!

I plan to have a cabinet / enclosure with some sound deadening around the rotary converter - hopefully that will take care of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ox

That's not true at all... I'm sure my neighbors never hear the screeching howl of multiple machines running very aggressive Ripper end mills, or the constant stream of trucks dropping off metal and picking up recycling, or the dull hum of the tumblers. I doubt they notice that when everything turns on at once, all the lights dim in their house.

I covered for all that by occasionally shooting a bunch of guns into the air and telling everyone I have a meth lab... that's better than a machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Exactly every one knows meth cooks are crazy and whilst the police might contemplate radeing you if they do you will just be let off, run a shop in domestic area and your fugitive number 1!

Deliveries i try and keep em random and dispersed, hence its a lot harder for people to notice just what im upto or not. Equally i try and get stuff to come on common freight, not specilist company HGV's no one looks twice at a bubble wrapped bunch of 3m long curtain poles, have the same half dozen lengths of tube come on a flat bed and your raising a big red flag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
    I have been looking at mist collectors - any recommendations? Nederman was one that came up in my searches. The thought of drilling a big hole in the roof of my machine sounds a bit intimidating though!
    The thought of a lung transplant sounds intimidating to me. Check with wheeliking and see how he like his new mist collectors. They were reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't seal up your phase converter as it needs free air flow to cool, no matter what phase converter you have.

I am all for a mist collector, but what you should do is run the exhaust air through a heat exchanger so you are always breathing fresh air. I would pull the exhaust air from the coolant exit points so you don't have to cut any sheetmetal and you are pulling the mist down from the spindle nose instead of up. It will keep your spindle motor and cooling fan cleaner, otherwise it will get plugged up with dried coolant. For me 200 cfm is enough but 400 works much better. The cheapest mist collector is an inline centrifugal fan restricted on the input side to reduce the air pressure and a drain line to drain the collected coolant. You can get a 6" fan for under $200. For me I would rather have a cheap mist collector and a heat exchanger than a top dollar mist colletor only.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm also interested in mist collectors for this size VMC.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Don't seal up your phase converter as it needs free air flow to cool, no matter what phase converter you have.

I am all for a mist collector, but what you should do is run the exhaust air through a heat exchanger so you are always breathing fresh air. I would pull the exhaust air from the coolant exit points so you don't have to cut any sheetmetal and you are pulling the mist down from the spindle nose instead of up. It will keep your spindle motor and cooling fan cleaner, otherwise it will get plugged up with dried coolant. For me 200 cfm is enough but 400 works much better. The cheapest mist collector is an inline centrifugal fan restricted on the input side to reduce the air pressure and a drain line to drain the collected coolant. You can get a 6" fan for under $200. For me I would rather have a cheap mist collector and a heat exchanger than a top dollar mist colletor only.
    Good point on keeping the phase converter open, I guess if it does need the enclosure I can always put a small fan to exchange the air. I have done it for a compressor so it shouldn't be too complicated

Not sure what you mean by "coolant exit points". The VM10 enclosure is very well sealed - rubber seals on all doors, etc. I thought on closed machines the mist collectors are primarily so you don't have to have to wait for the mist to settle before opening the doors.

I am playing some of this by ear as I am probably going to install an MQL system, and even do quite of bit dry machining when I cut aluminum. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dry alum?

That should be interesting....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

17. Likes converterking, SND, gregormarwick, jrmach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I mean by coolant exit points is where the coolant exits the machine to the coolant tank, probably troughs on either side on the back of your mill. One of my mills has a single trough on the back so I fabed a box with a duct connection to cap the top of the trough and attached a plastic sheet flap on the end that would allow coolant and chips out but not let air in. It works fine and I didn't have to cut any sheetmetal. It will also put your work between the door and the air extraction points unlike mounting a collector on top of your mill. You know when the mist collector is working when you no longer see mist on your glasses at the end of the day. Without a mist collector everything in your shop will eventually have a layer of dried coolant, let alone your clothes, hair, and face at the end of every day.

I have tried cutting both plastic and aluminum dry but found I can run much faster with flood coolant, twice as fast with plastic and much faster with aluminum. I have never tried an MQL but don't think it could completely replace a good flood coolant for cooling and chip evacuation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "coolant exit points". The VM10 enclosure is very well sealed - rubber seals on all doors, etc. I thought on closed machines the mist collectors are primarily so you don't have to have to wait for the mist to settle before opening the doors.

I am playing some of this by ear as I am probably going to install an MQL system, and even do quite of bit dry machining when I cut aluminum. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
    Dry cutting aluminium very rarely goes well, and MQL is almost pointless in a fully enclosed VMC.

Flood coolant is by far the best way to machine aluminium in 99% of cases, but when you're doing actual productive machining in aluminium with flood coolant you WILL kick up a lot of mist/vapourised coolant. It's warm from the cutting and boils up out the top of the enclosure unless it's fully sealed. That's where the msit collector comes in.

However, dial back the cutting data to the point where the coolant stays liquid inside the machine, and you will still be cutting chips much faster than if you were cutting dry.

20. Likes jrmach liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Dry cutting aluminium very rarely goes well, and MQL is almost pointless in a fully enclosed VMC.

Flood coolant is by far the best way to machine aluminium in 99% of cases, but when you're doing actual productive machining in aluminium with flood coolant you WILL kick up a lot of mist/vapourised coolant. It's warm from the cutting and boils up out the top of the enclosure unless it's fully sealed. That's where the msit collector comes in.

However, dial back the cutting data to the point where the coolant stays liquid inside the machine, and you will still be cutting chips much faster than if you were cutting dry.

Don't cut dry on CNC,that's just wrong,,,only Yo Tube video's do that

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    What I mean by coolant exit points is where the coolant exits the machine to the coolant tank, probably troughs on either side on the back of your mill. One of my mills has a single trough on the back so I fabed a box with a duct connection to cap the top of the trough and attached a plastic sheet flap on the end that would allow coolant and chips out but not let air in. It works fine and I didn't have to cut any sheetmetal. It will also put your work between the door and the air extraction points unlike mounting a collector on top of your mill. You know when the mist collector is working when you no longer see mist on your glasses at the end of the day. Without a mist collector everything in your shop will eventually have a layer of dried coolant, let alone your clothes, hair, and face at the end of every day.

I have tried cutting both plastic and aluminum dry but found I can run much faster with flood coolant, twice as fast with plastic and much faster with aluminum. I have never tried an MQL but don't think it could completely replace a good flood coolant for cooling and chip evacuation.

Ahh, ok - I always thought the mist had to go on top - thanks for the tip!

Dry alum?

That should be interesting....

Ox
    I have done it quite a bit with aluminum on a Haas - HSM feeds plus coated indexable cutters. A little air blast on deep pockets and its not that hard. 3" shell mills leave a better finish without the coolant IMHO.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Downdraft on the mist collection was also what I had in mind.