Securing Solid Carbide Saw W/O Keyway
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Securing Solid Carbide Saw W/O Keyway

So I've never used a saw without a keyway before. It's a robbjack 3" diameter 0.125" thick 30 tooth saw for nonferrous, 1" arbor hole.

How tight should I make the screw holding the saw? Usually with keyed HSS saws I have done about 45ft/lbs, is that sufficient?

Also, can I use pretty much any old arbor? The one I have uses a 1/2-20 screw with a head that is 1.187 diameter. Is it fine or normal to secure a keyless carbide saw by basically only a 0.09-wide rim around the edge? I would love to use one of Robbjack's arbors but I need to be able to reach down a little over 2.5".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it is a cat40 then try this...

CAT4-SSA1.-3.5 Slitting Saw Arbor Holder - Made in USA MariTool

I like to rough up the saw a little and put loctite on the tool holder arbor face and saw. That is why I make my slittling saw arbors with either a bunch of small holes or notches for gripping the loctite.

3. Likes lowCountryCamo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So how tight do you recommend making that screw if I don't use loc-tite? 40ft-lbs? 80? 120? Dodge Challenger Demon?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont see a reason why you wouldn't want to use loc-tite. Even just a little. Beats ruining a holder and breaking a saw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it's cleaner and simpler to not use it and I figured if I made it tight enough I'd be ok, but, especially having never done it before I'll probably use it as an extra layer of safety. You have a good holder design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This may not pertain to the solid carbide part of the question but in my experience, when properly assembled, if or when the saw tries to move it will self tighten the screw and flange and lock itself 100% solid. This usually requires more than the simple Allen wrench for removal of the saw from the arbor.

Cleaning the mating faces of the tool holder/flange and the saw blade with Brakleen will help keep the interfaces from slipping.

These observations were made with HSS saws versus carbide so this may be 'fake news'!

Stuart

8. Likes Jrill liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always had good luck with these arbors; http://www.petersonarbors.com/index.html for thinner saws. You don't have to use the supplied key if there's no keyslot in the saw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The age old question of do I put a key in saw or dont I?My way of thinking is if its got a key cut in the saw you put a key in,Other fellow workers disagree and say if the saw gets jammed it will be able to slip back without shattering giving then time to hit the stop button and stop the feed.Who says your going to be looking at the job in that split second if it jams.So for me I always have a key in.Also I agree with post about the saw locking itself on the arbor if its keyless most I have seen without a keway cut in the saw are for wood.What happens if no key the saw will slip and lock the bolt holding the cutter gradually it will lock the nut tighter and tighter and either break the bolt head off or tighte the end nut so much it

11. Likes HuFlungDung liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how everyone else does it, but usually when I tighten an arbor I turn it until it stops turning.

13. Likes BSCustoms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrill View Post
    So I've never used a saw without a keyway before. It's a robbjack 3" diameter 0.125" thick 30 tooth saw for nonferrous, 1" arbor hole.

How tight should I make the screw holding the saw? Usually with keyed HSS saws I have done about 45ft/lbs, is that sufficient?

Also, can I use pretty much any old arbor? The one I have uses a 1/2-20 screw with a head that is 1.187 diameter. Is it fine or normal to secure a keyless carbide saw by basically only a 0.09-wide rim around the edge? I would love to use one of Robbjack's arbors but I need to be able to reach down a little over 2.5".

Jrill,

IMHO, you're over-thinking it. The clamping force you can apply with a 1/2-20 is very significant. What is the major diameter of the arbor-side surface the slitting saw will be sitting against? Maybe make yourself a washer for the other side (under the head of the screw) that goes out to the same diameter, and make it nice and beefy (if you have the room for it in your job/setup).

Tighten thing thing up nice and snug, and don't get carried away with your feed rate. You'll be fine.

PM