What's new
What's new

Seimens 840D SL vs Heidenhain iTNC 530 HSCI control on Jobs LinX 5 axis gantry mill?

vettespeed

Plastic
Considering a Jobs LinX Compact 5 axis gantry mill and want to know the differences between the two available controls. The machine will be used for one off tooling, so quick setup and ease of function is very important. Interested in capabilities that are important to one off parts, things like tool setup, program editing features, program restart function allowing easy startup in the middle of a program, etc. How do these two controls stack up against each other and what are their pros and cons versus each other? I have only used controls like HAAS, Yasnac, Fanuc, Mazak, etc. I have a little experience with Fagor, also.
Thanks.

P.S. Fidia control is possibly available, also. Any thoughts on Fidia controls?

If you search for "iTNC 530" you can find some threads that talk about this. I have a DMG DMU with iTNC 530 which I use for one-offs and rather like it. But the only siemans I have is on a lathe I haven't used in a couple of years.

Here's one where I talk about it quite a bit, and Boris chimes in:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...n-itnc-530-vs-siemens-840d-controller-267088/

(Whereabouts in Seattle vettespeed?)

I have no experience with the Heidenhain control other than we are bidding on replacing one right now with a Siemens 840D.

We do have a lot of experience with the Siemens control - it has a very high-end traori kinematic engine for managing a 5-Axis trajectory. One thing in particular that is important when evaluating is your CAM system - the Siemens compressor function works best with 4-6 significant digits of resolution if you want to fly through complex surfaces.

On the tuning side - the 840D has some tremendous features:

1.) On an axis basis - you can tune the motor / axis to mitigate resonances by introducing up to 5 individual notch filters that work at the current loop level. The tools for tuning are about the best I have seen and while you can't make a crappy mechanism work exceedingly well - you can make a marginal mechanism perform better than you would imagine that it could.

2.) On a system basis - once you have tuned all of the axes - the controller will exercise the machine and figure out the dominant mechanical resonances with the machine and then apply acceleration and jerk filters to the actual trajectory generator such that the machine never tries to execute a path that will excite the resonances of the machine as a whole. It is even possible to have gain scheduling in the event that you have different resonances depending on how far the Z-Axis is hanging down at particular locations of the Y-Axis.

The machines we have deployed this on have benefited from these tools to allow high speed machining of complex shapes with some path segments in the G-Code only being a few thousands of an inch long (using the compressor functions) . . . a very capable controller in this regard.

I don't know if the Heidenhain has similar features - I'd be interested in what the OEM for the 5-Axis machine tool recommends or whether they provide the machine with the look-ahead / high speed compressor functions all set up and ready to go with instructions on how your CAM system should be configured to take advantage of them.

Back