What's new
What's new

surface quality of 3+2 vs. simultaneous CAM programming

supercaliber64

Plastic
Hello,

We are considering a new machine to produce small aluminum molds, either a Makino F5+Koma 4th axis rotary or a Mazak VCU 400-5X 5-axis.
My questions is not on the machine, but on programming 3+2 vs. simultaneous and which will achieve a better surface quality.
Both machines have 20k HSK spindles. Accuracy of the Makino is tighter then the Mazak.

Anyone have experience with improved surface quality from simultaneous 4 or 5 axis programming vs. 3+2 positional programming?

Hello,

We are considering a new machine to produce small aluminum molds, either a Makino F5+Koma 4th axis rotary or a Mazak VCU 400-5X 5-axis.
My questions is not on the machine, but on programming 3+2 vs. simultaneous and which will achieve a better surface quality.
Both machines have 20k HSK spindles. Accuracy of the Makino is tighter then the Mazak.

Anyone have experience with improved surface quality from simultaneous 4 or 5 axis programming vs. 3+2 positional programming?

I have done full 5 axis and found it is not near the quality of 3+2. This was on a new (2012 at the time) Fanuc Robodrill with the Nikken table. We used Mastercam and Camplete to generate the code. I should add that they were typically long slender parts that were problematic to begin with...

Hello,

How did you end up narrowing it down to these two machines? One is basically a dedicated high end 40x20 mold machine with a 4th axis bolted on, and the other is the lowest end of Mazak's 3 groups of 5 axis machines. Very different machine types, sizes, and intended uses. Not to say you couldn't make nice molds on the VCU, but if mold making is your thing, you'll almost certainly be better off with the F5.

How did you end up narrowing it down to these two machines? One is basically a dedicated high end 40x20 mold machine with a 4th axis bolted on, and the other is the lowest end of Mazak's 3 groups of 5 axis machines. Very different machine types, sizes, and intended uses. Not to say you couldn't make nice molds on the VCU, but if mold making is your thing, you'll almost certainly be better off with the F5.

Joe788, thanks for the feedback. I have a $ amount to stay under. I taked with Makino, Okuma, Mazak, and Hurco.
The VCU with a 20K HSK spindle (which is a new option available late April) puts me about $30K above the Makino.
Okuma has a Genos line, but it's running CAT40 big+ and is 15k vs. the Makino 20K HSK spindle.
And Hurco was my other 5 axis option, the speed and accuracy arent' as good as the Mazak and the price was the same.

The Makino is by far the best bang for the buck. I'm try to understand is there an advantage to simultaneous programming in the mold industry in regards to surface finish.

I think it will depend on configuration of the molds if you can even benefit from the 5-axis motion. A quality machine with a Quality Control , and a quality CAM system, along with a Quality Programmer can get some very good surface finishes with 5axis motion , but sometimes it is better to do 2 + 3. I don't think there is a one size fits all here. For me full 5-axis is easier to program and you will make the part faster with better finishes sometimes.

Back