What's new
What's new

Sharp SV-2412

Airborne

Stainless
Thinking about getting a Sharp SV-2412 for my garage shop. Overall max height is 92" according to the specs.

What's the minimum height? Will I have any issues fitting it through a standard garage door opening (just under 7')?

Get Sharp or your dealer to run the head almost all of the way down and block it on the table with some wood. You have to remove the servo on the top and breakdown the plastic cable chain and it will then fit under a standard garage door. The biggie is do NOT start twisting on the servo motor to see how it turns and then have to lower your head just a little more to get it under the door. You will lose your reference height for the tool changer and soft limits and it is a big pain to get it set back up (ask me how I know). To get mine in I used a 9K boom lift and it ran it in to the back of the garage before it lifted the back wheels off the ground. The bottom of the base casting is a little rough and they do not roll very well on bars. I had to turn mine 90 degrees to get it where I wanted it and I ended up setting an anchor in the floor and winching off of it. Both me and a buddy have them in garages and they fit nicely.

I have one as well. Take the Z axis servo off. Make sure it's down and bolted to the table...
The cable smake needs to come off the side of the Z axis tin.
Fits just fine...

Website shows 75" or 80" shipping height? Is that accurate? I've got a brick arch thats 87" at the peak, down to 80" on the sides. I thought the Sharp should fit.

The Sharps have caught my attention lately. Can anyone give me a ball park on what a Sharp SV-2412 goes for new?also does anyone on the forum have a bigger machine like the SV-3220 or SV-4020?

Thanks,
Dave

Ed was in my shop about a month and a half ago. I asked him about the larger machines as well. I think they have sold four or five. No idea on what it's like. But I like my 2412s
Base price is 36 or 8k I think.

Just checked out the Sharp website. Impressive looking machine. Is it a linear way machine? I think you can get a Fadal with box ways in the upper $30's lower $40's. We have had great luck out of our 4020 with Fanuc 18i control. Exceptional service from our distributor.

My 2 cents.

It is a box way machine. Nice and stiff but you do end up with a lot of oil in the sump for the skimmer to deal with.

It's a tough little box way machine. I bought mine with a chip conveyer, 0iMc control 10k spindle, HSM, 16 tools, bigger coolant pump, fourth, came to about $55k. It eats 316, 304, 17-4 all day. Stout little machine. I'd buy another one.

Can someone who owns one of these measure the actual height ?

I saw one in a dealer last spring and brought my tape measure and I thought it was quite a bit taller than 93 inches (like over 105 inches) at maximum Z.

Big difference if you're trying to put one of these in a garage.

Attachments

• SV2412.jpg
    SV2412.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 864
  • SV2412-1.jpg
    SV2412-1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 649
  • SV2412-2.jpg
    SV2412-2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 698
  • SV2412-3.jpg
    SV2412-3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 898
  • SV2412-4.jpg
    SV2412-4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 740
Here's a 2412 basic machine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHARP-SV-2412-V...ryZ12584QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I think I paid $38k each for my 2412S machines. No chip conveyors (small shop), 10k spindle, Oi-MC mate control, etc.

That is a lot of machine for a $32,000 buy it now. Hell, I'm considering buying it just to make fixtures for the HMCs so I don't waste so much of their spindle time.

I can't imagine any reason to buy a Haas Mini over that Sharp. Isn't the Haas made from a steel weldment??

Off topic: While performing a PM on my Mazak PFH5800, I found out that the ATC door runs on a larger linear guide than a Haas Mini Mill!

These machines will outperform a comparable Haas any day. I want the machine I posted up, but I don't have room for it for about 8 more months.

I cut 1018 in one of my machines at 3800rpm 50 IPM using a 1/2" end mill full depth. I am slotting 3/8" plate on custom fixtures. I drill plunge holes, drop the bit right down, slot at 50ipm and come back with a fresh tool and do a final pass at 40ipm. The only noise is the material flying. It doesn't even vibrate the cabinet on the machine.

I'll see if I can measure mine today. I'm late for work haha

Evan

My sharp 2412 a 2005 model fit under my garage door witch is 78 inchs high.
I had to remove the z axis motor . The height of the machine at tool change witch is high as the z will go is 92 inchs my ceiling is exactly
94 inchis high.

My garage door opens to 83", so I think I'll be in good shape.

How did you guys transport your machines? I've moved my own machines up to 4000 lbs, but 6000 lbs is just too much. I'm definitely hiring a rigger. I'm assuming most of you did the same?

What was the procedure? Does Sharp ship via LTL? How big of a forklift was needed?

I hired a local rigger to move my machines from the dealer in Baltimore to my shop. He charged $1500 to move two machines at once. He used a 6000lb capacity forklift and we ended up adding some human counter-weight to keep it from tipping forward. From there, he set them in place and the dealer came and leveled them.

These machines come on a fairly large skid. You have to pick the machine up to remove the skid. They have fork holes that go through the side of the base, but you need pretty long forks to get all the way in there and clear the cabinet.

From there, they used a pallet jack and various chocks, blocks, and hand tools to sit them down.

Back