What's new
What's new

shop floor scheduling software?

WILLEO6709

Diamond
I have been looking at various shop floor control software and wondering what users think of the software past purchase and demo. We have been looking at JoBBoss with the quality toolkit. All opinions welcome.

I use E2 also. I couldn't decide which to go with Jobboss or E2. I bugged them both for a working demo. Jobboss wouldn't give me a demo. E2 gave me a 30 day demo. So far I'm a happy customer. They do send a lot of junk mail though

They were faxing me at 2:00 in the morning till I called them and asked very politely not to do that ever again.

Fax, email, snail mail, they are very persistant. They do call from now an then to check up on me though. Sometimes it's the sales guy sometimes support to see if I have any questions. Overall I'm happy with the software. It takes a lot of the paperwork headaches away. It's great for keeping track of all the little info, like a customer comment, or multiple contacts for a customer.

I am looking at MyWorkplan right now, has anyone used it before? I really know nothing about ERP systems. I like it so far but I haven't looked at anything else yet.

I used E2 for 2-3 years, up through 2003. Not what I had recommended, but it was cheap, the owners swallowed the hook. I did a lot of quoting, routings, purchase orders, etc. It's ok if you don't try to use it to full capabilities. We made a fairly complex product line and bill of materials and reports weren't there(2003) We got lot's of promises about fixing reports yada, yada. Never happened. Hopefully they fixed it by now. I liked Visual Manufacturing from Lily software. A $30k+ sysytem, but, they had a bare bones version for $2500 a few years ago, I haven't looked into it lately. I could never trust my evaluation of Job Boss because they only hire beautiful girls.

How about some links on these other ones being mentioned? What are the price ranges?

Here's Henning:http://www.henningsoftware.com/
It does it all, but there's at least 6 ways to do each thing...good for their training classes....bad if your stubborn like me and also can't afford the time and bux to go to training.
SO many pull down options, damn Icons and Buttons to click, no real clear path thru the system from quote to order to payment. I have used it enough to see the value of this type of software and I am
convinced it helped me land a production customer with assistance in quoting a few job in several quantities....stuff I could never do in Excel or on a scratch pad! Now I need simple functionality.

Neighbor shop has had Visual for 10+ years, the $5000 version. They seem to get along OK with it....
Maybe another I need to explore.

2 guys above seem to like the newer version of E2...?

dk

What I like about it(Visual) was the ability to put pictures, acad files, even video into routings. E2 had none of that when I used it.

I copied this from the "FAQ" page(bottom), I guess they have some graduated scheme to lure you in.

"You can get started with the VISUAL Jobshop LT Edition for under $500.00 USD. Contact us for multi-user pricing. We accept major credit cards and corporate checks and can refer you to leasing firms familiar with our products. To make your shop a VISUAL job shop today, contact any authorized reseller or Lilly Software directly at [email protected] or click here."

Yes, E2 was good for basic stuff. if someone gave it to me for free, I'd use it. I spent a fair amount of time on it.

I also trained on Global Shop, don't recommend it!
Global Shop
Evaluated and purchased ($35K)Last I heard it had not been implemented. It was easier to put up with E2.

I found this with lots of ERP's with prices.
2020Software

We have been using www.sightlinesystems.com for about 2 years now and it has helped beyond expectations.
Saved thousands. But there is a catch, the initial layout is enough to make anyone sit down.
;)

We have found JobBoss to be very limited in the machine shop world. It lacks in real time costing situations. For instance: If you have a work center rate of $ 75.00/hr, it does not account for the fact that that operation may run unattended; thus leading to a lesser cost

We have found JobBoss to be very limited in the machine shop world. It lacks in real time costing situations. For instance: If you have a work center rate of $ 75.00/hr, it does not account for the fact that that operation may run unattended; thus leading to a lesser cost

I use JobBOSS and it does let you do this. There is an "attendance" block.

To OP, I have used JobBOSS and found it works very well for machine shops. It didn't work so good for fabrication stuff though.

Back