What's new
What's new

Need to find a decent CNC turning machine for under 20 grand

apoc_101

Hot Rolled
Hey guys, my boss just gave me the green light to track down a CNC lathe, with the catch that our budget is basically restricted to under 20 grand. Also, the job that we will be running mostly on it is made from 2" diameter pipe, so it needs to have the appropriate spindle bore for that. I've contacted some shops and used/new machine sellers locally to get started, and wanted to hear some ideas, and answer some questions:

-any idea how much it costs to freight a machine this size across the country? In case I were to find a good deal in eastern Canada etc. We are located in Vancouver BC. Weight for machines like this would be between 3000-9000 pounds.

-cost to adequately retrofit a manual machine to do the job? Not sure if this is a cost effective solution, I know there are companies that do this work or I could look at doing it myself... we need to get decent performance out of it but nothing too extreme in terms of high tolerance, higher RPM or extreme rigidity. Something that could perform like a Haas TL machine would probably do.

I've got a ton of experience on Okuma CNC turning (8000+ hours over 6 different models) but not with any other makes/controls so it should be interesting :)

Something that could perform like a Haas TL machine would probably do.

How about a used Haas TL-1?

All of the TL machines can grip 2" stock. A retrofitted manual machine won't be nearly as nice to use as a Haas TL.

Fortune (Victor) V26 would take that down the hole
i've had 10 fortunes, all rock solid, take a hit like a sherman , ( what a said fact to know :ack2: )
20k used should be doable

Fortune (Victor) V26 would take that down the hole
i've had 10 fortunes, all rock solid, take a hit like a sherman , ( what a said fact to know :ack2: )
20k used should be doable

I'll throw in another vote for Victor. Two years ago we bought a '97 vturn-36 for the equivalent of about $28k. It performs no differently from the brand new one sat next to it.

The 36 is a much bigger machine than you are looking for, a 26 shouldn't be too hard to find for your budget. Also, the haas is a toy in comparison.

I'm in Montana and just had some quotes to move a 15000 pound machine from the east coast and they came in at $ 4000 to $ 5000.

There is an SL-4 and and an SL 5 Mori-Seiki on E-Bay now very close to your price range with Fanuc controls that are excellent machines and will run forever.
Good luck in your hunt.
Dan

I would get an old Okuma Cadet - for 2 reasons. They are incredibly cheap, will run forever, hold tenths all day every day, have a sweet control, got tons of power, and you already know them well. (Pick whichever 2 you like)

Hmm, a friend of mine called yesterday to let me know about a Hitachi Seiki HiCell being available... for about 40 grand... dear god what an awesome machine. Also they have a smaller Okuma for under 20, not quite big enough but we will look at it. Still looking... don't want to buy a machine on ebay without inspecting it in person. thanks for all the recommendations so far guys, I will continue the hunt :)

Sweet, just found another deal not far from us for an Okuma LB-15 with low hours, for just over 10 grand. Which seems like quite a bit for an '86 machine, but it comes with a complete 3J collet chuck and set, and apparently runs flawlessly... after being unused for over 10 years.... so it's really low hours. might be just the right thing for us!

Back