What's new
What's new

Siemens 828D: anyone use this on lathes?

lateralus

Plastic
We just bought a romi lathe with this control and Iam getting acclimated to its features and operation. Iam curious how many people here use it and what they think of the control so far.

Congrats! The controller is pretty similar to the 840D if not near 'identical'. Not yet sure of the exact algorithm differences but the cycles are pretty much all the same as the 840

Personally I have the 828D on the 4ax mill (same ctrl as turning really) and I have a 808D Advanced on the NC lathe. Unfortunately I am still on the Sinutrain 4.5 and can't wait to take delivery of both machines/controllers this coming Saturday morning.

They are said to be the most advanced controllers in the industry at the moment. Your guess is as good as mine on that loll

Enjoy your training mate (the only part I find nasty... if you ask me)

Congrats! The controller is pretty similar to the 840D if not near 'identical'. Not yet sure of the exact algorithm differences but the cycles are pretty much all the same as the 840

Personally I have the 828D on the 4ax mill (same ctrl as turning really) and I have a 808D Advanced on the NC lathe. Unfortunately I am still on the Sinutrain 4.5 and can't wait to take delivery of both machines/controllers this coming Saturday morning.

They are said to be the most advanced controllers in the industry at the moment. Your guess is as good as mine on that loll

Enjoy your training mate (the only part I find nasty... if you ask me)

Coming from a prototrak shopturn is very easy to program as well with many more features than prototrak. The manual leaves alot to be desired but Iam learning.

Iam still trying to figure out how to face parts manually using constant surface speed. It seems like I cant use CSS until I create a program.

Another thing I like is all of the siemens info available on their website for programming. They even have a playstore app with pdf manuals.

The romi machine is very nice. My only gripe is there are no graduations on the tailstock handwheel. But I guess youre not supposed to use it for drilling ops. Iam not sure yet if I will set it up to drill and tap using the cross slide.

Sounds like you have already found the "Easy CNC" app.

Have an Emco with 840D control and two Prototraks so agree with what's already been said.

One thing I havnt figured out is why when I create a turning program and simulate it to see what it looks like, my tool change position is way out in space.

I use machine postion numbers and just move my cutter to a safe area and hit "teach in" if I remember correctly. I hit simulate and single block to check for any collisions and my tool change position is somewhere out in space?

My tool is qualified correctly. I have the option to use "work" tool change postition but I dont understand what coordinates it uses.

Anyone have any input?

This thread is worthless without pics:

20150720_173800.jpg

I never really pay attention to where the tools are going when they change in simulation. As long as they don't crash on the retract, I'm happy.

As far as the "work" tool change position, that just adjusts the tool change relative to your active work offset. It's way easier (for me) to just determine how much clearance you need from the face of the part, and put that value in. For instance, if I need 10 inches of clearance in z for the tool changer, I touch off on the face of the part, call that Z=0, then for a tool change position select "work" and change the "ZT" value to 10.

One thing I havnt figured out is why when I create a turning program and simulate it to see what it looks like, my tool change position is way out in space.

I use machine postion numbers and just move my cutter to a safe area and hit "teach in" if I remember correctly. I hit simulate and single block to check for any collisions and my tool change position is somewhere out in space?

My tool is qualified correctly. I have the option to use "work" tool change postition but I dont understand what coordinates it uses.

Anyone have any input?

is there a G53 or D0 on the safety move? If so it may be jumping to the turrets reference position.

I never really pay attention to where the tools are going when they change in simulation. As long as they don't crash on the retract, I'm happy.

As far as the "work" tool change position, that just adjusts the tool change relative to your active work offset. It's way easier (for me) to just determine how much clearance you need from the face of the part, and put that value in. For instance, if I need 10 inches of clearance in z for the tool changer, I touch off on the face of the part, call that Z=0, then for a tool change position select "work" and change the "ZT" value to

Yes it should be that simple. I feel like my work offset isnt right or something.

When I fire the machine up I pick my tool and face the part or touch off and make that Z-0 in the "measure part" softkey. I do the same for X just to make sure my offset is accurate.

Then I write my program in shopturn and in the program header in the tool change position I can pick "machine" or "work". I thought "work" would be the location of my tool tip relative to my work that I just measured but that is not the case. So I pic "machine" and push the softkey "teach tc postion" with my tool in a safe postition and it uses that position for my tool change.

Do I need to set my work offset seperately from my tool offset? I feel like they should be the same.

is there a G53 or D0 on the safety move? If so it may be jumping to the turrets reference position.

Iam not sure. I never pay attention to the code since I program in shopturn filling out the various blocks for whatever cycles I want. Next time Ill look for that in the code.

Back