What's new
What's new

Sliding headstock lathe..or

Cycle1000

Cast Iron
So looking to add a new part to the shop and the numbers are going to be more than I can do. Good news right? :skep:
As there are many ways to skin a cat, this is a natural part for a sliding headstock lathe..I know this as I have walked very close to several machines at IMTS..may have even cut though the Star booth one year.

What is the part you ask, lets say for the sake of discussion it is the exact part in this video, with less side milling.
Tornos y Maquinas Decoletaje Star Micronics SV 32 Sliding Head CNC Lathe Video - YouTube

Material? 6061 with some 303 just for laughs. Numbers are 500 a month min.

Has anyone here gotten a quote lately on a machine similar? Tools I can imagine the tooling package is staggering.
The part would go (barley) in a 25mm machine but I want a 32mm for new designs coming up.

Or I could use my paid for St10 and second op in the mill. I would have to grab one of the universal robots to tend the mill. I have demoed these in the shop and the learning curve would be a lot less than the 100 axis lathe :ack2:

Or a new Y axis lathe..

(Why do company's put music in their vids :angry:)
Hardinge CHNC 42 SP SUPER-PRECISION Turning Center Lathe Demo - YouTube

this looks nice..
Samsung SL2ASY BSY - YouTube

I welcome all suggestions and or options, I reserve the right to laugh or cry as the case may be.
Gary

Y axis machine with several live toys - yes.
I see absolutely no-where in there that makes it a Swiss part at all.
Especially with extruded alum!

A fixed headstock will have better TIR and less end-of-bar waste, unless you opt up for the model with Guide Bushing Delete option.

A Star vid with Tornos in the title. Hmmmm....
Must be a language barrier?

Anyway - you think that you can fetch enough from 500/month to justify this expense?

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes that is my opinion also. Going to get a quote on a small Mazak 100MSY after a recommendation from a friend this morning.
Gary

Place I used to work at had one of these....

Cyclone-32 CS - Ganesh Machinery

It was a surprisingly good budget machine. Sliding headstock for Z axis but no guide bushing. They also have it in a no sub-spindle version. Biggest question mark IMO would be the control. They use their own PC based control. In the 5 or so years we had it while I was there it never had any problems. 10-20 years down the road may be a different story. Operation and programming shared quite a few things with the Mitsu controls on the Citizens we had.

Do you need a sub spindle?
We just picked up a doosan Lynx 220 LSYC (Sub, Y axis, 2.625" Thru bore) and it was around 140ish with options.
They make a smaller thru bore version too, i think it would be a LSYA instead. Faster main spindle.

Not sure what these run without the sub spindle, but i bet it kicks off quite a bit.

Good luck,
Steve

My pov is slightly different.
Commercial only - as in money now, money later.

Is the 500 qty valuable enough ?
If it makes 20$+ / profit, then it probably is ...
but only if you are guaranteed 12 months / 6000 units payment.
Are You ?

The *right* business choice is never to buy or invest on po´s, or "orders" without guarantees.
And yes, of course, mostly we never can get guarantees.

Imo, I could not care less about the control, warranty, value secondhand -- etc..
if it pays itself and a healthy profit in 12 months.

It is better to spend more - expensive machine,
lose-more - resale value,
when You make more.

In the OP case I would never buy a new machine for the parts mentioned.
Unless other similar work was near/available.
.. OR the parts are Highly Profitable.

I'm a Swiss guy and I'd still say a Y axis machine is the better option. More versatile for job shop stuff. A Swiss would knock out 500 of those in a day or two, and then what do you do with it? If you don't have one already, you must not have much other demand for it, but it sounds like you could get some use out of a y axis lathe. Same bar pulling capability, can be barfed for lights out running, way more options on stock diameters and tooling sizes.

Yea I probably have my terminology wrong I was not thinking of a "true" swiss. One without the guide bushing?? Anyhoo your point of versatility is what I have settled on also.
Hanermo, I am not a job shop I am a little different ;) but yea a guaranty would be awesome..and not worth the paper written on.
I think for once the Haas will not be the cheapest option :crazy:
SteveP,I did some ubertube detective work and that Doosan seems to be a sorted machine. I will look into those also.
Gary

Back