What's new
What's new

Slightly OT: Who out there runs with these type of cutting conditions

Those speeds aren't unheard of but the effective cutting speed is more like 200 IPM calculated based on the size of the part, step over and machining time. It may be running at 800 IPM when contouring the outside edge but once the tool is inside the material boundary it slows down drastically.

That was my impression... Why not program it at 8,000 inches per minute? The Haas is choking on the code and not running near as fast as he says it is. No doubt it is aggressive. I fell in love with that roughing strategy when it first came available in EdgeCam. They label it Wave Form, but it is the same thing. The only problem I have with it is the back retract running at programmed feed rate. I think it is editable. You can see inside his pocket that his back retract to the next cut could be sped up. Longer radial engagement is where most of the improvement is made between his 2 examples. Just my opinion. FWIW...

I don't see why you would claim to run that fast on a VF6. Slinging a 60x30 table or however big it is around at 800 IPM takes a lot of grunt. I can't say anything about the guy named "Titan" because I don't know him but enthusiasm is what sells. Add to that saying cutting at 100 IPM is slow when in reality he's probably cutting at 20 IPM in the latter part of the video.

Yup, I agree with everyone. I would program my MORI at about 350IPM on that part and be done the same amount of time as his Haas.

Fk'n retarded show, but an educational machine shop show isn't gonna sell.... The masses need buzz words, Murrica, Billet, Mil-spec Titanium.

At any rate "titan" is embracing newer technologies, tools, and CAD/CAM at least

Like everybody else said there is no way he's even hitting 400 ipm. It's all a bunch of fluff. The show is a joke.

i think titan is quite the tool himself, but he does have a solid message i must agree with. this video is crap because there is no way that 100ipm pass is 100ipm but w/e. what i take out of it is push as much as your application and machine can go. dont be afraid of new tooling, software, or techniques. most of us on here already try to stay on top of our game and do what we can but some shops are acutally ok with 20ipm feeds in aluminum.

What i don't get is why no rapid moves? everything in thoes videos is at feed rate? Equally does he not realise the Chinese watch his videos too?

I call B-S there is no way. Most machine loose ability to hold true position above a certain feed rate and start to drift (take short cuts) to keep up to controller and programmed path. You start to get weird shapes and holes sizes if you start going too fast.
We had a new guy come in and start jacking feeds up and brag about how fast his programs were. His program ran about 16 hours of scrap, the parts were all distorted from machine drifting trying to keep up.
I slowed it back down and every thing was good again.
Next time he jacked one back up and ran his mouth again and all the big wigs where out there patting his back because the feeds on the screen and in programmed said 200imp and 300imp. I opened up the parameter page where it really displays what machine is really doing, it was only running at 120imp. do to machine could only go 120ipm in feed mode no matter what program and screen said it was doing.

He didn't last too long nothing but an high speed cowboy with no real understanding how really things work.

Regardless of what speed he's actually getting out of it, I would still say it's running faster than many shops ( not all) are typically running at. I'll bet there are still plenty of shops out there that would laugh at you if you claimed you were running that fast, because they're still in the stone age when it comes to machining. His message is still good, and it's good to see people get enthusiastic about this trade.

One other thing is the part looks like some arbitrary shape to me. Easy to hog if you're just doing it for fun.

That is true. I've also realized that most parts I run, I can't hang on to enough meat to withstand the forces of hogging like that, and even when I can, the part itself might not take it. Bottom line is, it's rare that I get a job where I would be able to take advantage of that type of machining.

Yes people run at those feedrates all day. In case you're wondering what it looks like for a machine that can *actually* feed at 800ipm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpMBUgGEnQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdVCVwIMvg

I believe both of those videos are from members here on PM.

Yep, I definitely see the difference. Is it common to run dry at those speeds, even in production, or was this done just for the camera to see? I noticed on that second video, the end mill was starting to spark on its last two pcs.

Yep, I definitely see the difference. Is it common to run dry at those speeds, even in production, or was this done just for the camera to see? I noticed on that second video, the end mill was starting to spark on its last two pcs.

If you ran those parts wet, the endmill probably wouldn't have lasted the whole video... Carbide can take a lot of HEAT a LOT,
get it as hot as you want, and it really doesn't care.. What carbide can not take very well is rapid heat cycling... HOT COLD HOT COLD
thousands of times a minute, KABOOM, bye-bye endmill...

The temperatures involved are not tiny... That dark purple coating AlTiN or TiAlN, that purple stuff doesn't start working its magic
until about 1700 degrees F. Then it gets really hard, and really slippery. That coating is essentially taking the place of the slippery
stuff in your coolant.. Chlorinated parafins in most coolants (which start working their magic at around 700 degrees) or sulfur in an
old school cutting oil (about 900 degrees).

Oddly, even in aluminum I've found... Get those speeds way up, and you can generate enough heat, and heat cycling to chip out
carbide.

On the lathe even... Interrupted cut.. Say turning some hex.. I'll run it dry until I get it round, then bring the coolant in once
I'm in a constant, non-interrupted cut.

Running dry is nothing more than another tool to add to your tool box. The first couple of times you do it, it just seems wrong... It
seems REALLY wrong doing it in aluminum.. Its just another tool, some things just work better/run faster when dry.

Here is some 6061 running dry that I did, old beat up Fadal, pretty close to topping out on the feedrate.. I recently ran 140 of those,
but an inch deeper and an inch longer... Never even had to rotate the inserts... The programming is not efficient, but at that point
I had already saved so much time as opposed to going at it conventionally, I didn't care. I've run those speeds wet, and the inserts
chip out, dry, they literally last forever.

My cohort in the shop sent me that video and we've been making fun of Titan since. Well, again, that is. We also have a Haas VF-6SS, and it's a stretch that it ever tops about 300 IPM in cutting operations.

Dave K: dry in steel with AlTiN cutters, we use an air blast. Also the most valuable part of that G187 P1 is the E value that followed it that lets the control round corners to keep the feed rate up. Leaving .025" for semi-finish and putting an E value of .02" is way faster than the default (although I can't remember what that is right now).

If you ran those parts wet, the endmill probably wouldn't have lasted the whole video... Carbide can take a lot of HEAT a LOT,
get it as hot as you want, and it really doesn't care.. What carbide can not take very well is rapid heat cycling... HOT COLD HOT COLD
thousands of times a minute, KABOOM, bye-bye endmill...

The temperatures involved are not tiny... That dark purple coating AlTiN or TiAlN, that purple stuff doesn't start working its magic
until about 1700 degrees F. Then it gets really hard, and really slippery. That coating is essentially taking the place of the slippery
stuff in your coolant.. Chlorinated parafins in most coolants (which start working their magic at around 700 degrees) or sulfur in an
old school cutting oil (about 900 degrees).

Oddly, even in aluminum I've found... Get those speeds way up, and you can generate enough heat, and heat cycling to chip out
carbide.

On the lathe even... Interrupted cut.. Say turning some hex.. I'll run it dry until I get it round, then bring the coolant in once
I'm in a constant, non-interrupted cut.

Running dry is nothing more than another tool to add to your tool box. The first couple of times you do it, it just seems wrong... It
seems REALLY wrong doing it in aluminum.. Its just another tool, some things just work better/run faster when dry.

Here is some 6061 running dry that I did, old beat up Fadal, pretty close to topping out on the feedrate.. I recently ran 140 of those,
but an inch deeper and an inch longer... Never even had to rotate the inserts... The programming is not efficient, but at that point
I had already saved so much time as opposed to going at it conventionally, I didn't care. I've run those speeds wet, and the inserts
chip out, dry, they literally last forever.

That's nice. Like you say, I've run without coolant on facing mills, and it's very hard to get used to that. Just seems counter-intuitive. You want to stay cool, and you want to have lubricity for finish, so coolant just seems like it's a necessity. So, did you have an air blast running on that fadal during that procedure?

My cohort in the shop sent me that video and we've been making fun of Titan since. Well, again, that is. We also have a Haas VF-6SS, and it's a stretch that it ever tops about 300 IPM in cutting operations.

Dave K: dry in steel with AlTiN cutters, we use an air blast. Also the most valuable part of that G187 P1 is the E value that followed it that lets the control round corners to keep the feed rate up. Leaving .025" for semi-finish and putting an E value of .02" is way faster than the default (although I can't remember what that is right now).

I don't have Haas mills, so the G187 with E values is something I'm not familiar with.

Back