What's new
What's new

Carbide indexable Spot drills

Dave K

Diamond
The "regrind" thread prompted me to post a question that I've wanted to post for a while now, and keep forgetting.
Has anyone ever tried using these carbide indexable spot drills? I've only seen a few companies that make them. I think they are Everede, OSG, and some off brand company.

With the price of standard spots and the fact that nobody seems to be decent at regrinding them, I've often wondered of an indexable was a decent way to go. They may vibrate a bit because they are only one flute, but if they work decent, I would think a person could spot your holes pretty fast compared to high speed drills. Anyone?

Bottom of the page here, shows a video of this in action. Looks like a smooth cutting tool, but I'm skeptical
http://www.everede.net/

Last edited:
Good to hear, pking. How long do inserts last on those things. Is it fairly cost effective?

Thanks Exkenna, I'll appreciate any info you can get.

Kill me? No. PITA? Yes. Well, maybe not. I'd have to buy a metric collet I guess to run it in my centers, and metric sleeves to run it in my lathes. Geez, seems like a lot of stuff to buy just to use that spot drill. Doesn't everede make them in english?

Yeah, I've seen that engraving tool in a catalogue that I have. Pretty cool, but Ingersoll seems pretty expensive. On the other hand, it's pretty good quality.

Can you give me a price on the second one from the top with a pak of 10 inserts?

OK, let me call it in in the morning. My pricing structure is in route, don't have it in front of me right now.
See you guys tomorrow... yawn. :cheers:

Im sort of interested in these as well. I've got a job that spots a bunch of holes and chamfers to break edges all around some blocks. My only concern is they seem like they would be kind of hard on the spindle on a smaller machine w/one flute and a not so sharp edge as on most inserts.

I bought that tool of Ebay,brand new for about $17 with four tips.It`s a 20mm spot drill.I had to tell them to use it instead of 12mm x 45 deg HSS chamfering cutters.Asked just now about tip life and was told it has done over 1000 1/16" x 45 chamfers on 5/16" holes and spot drilled about 800 holes on two tips.Not very scientific and I don`t suppose it`s crossed the operators mind that a tip that is past spot drilling can still chamfer and vice versa.
I also told someone to order 10 tips for it from our regular guy who comes in every week.That`s not been done either so I don`t know what they cost.
Sorry to be so vague.Will post the model number tomorrow.

I know this isn't indexable, and I haven't tried them yet, but I just got an email from Maritool advertising his new spot drills. Prices seem to be pretty good.

I am currently stocking Chamfer Mills. They are not quite the same as spot drills. Since they are 4 flute carbide the tip is very fragile and does not have too much chip room. They can be used for spotting in soft materials but in alloy steel if you try to spot the tip will chip out. Shortly I plan on stocking spotting drills.

Back