What's new
What's new

Solid Modeling

holypickle

Banned
Alls I want to do is create a CYLINDER with TAPERED ENDS that meets to a RADIUS, but I can't create anything that ISN'T wire framed.

What I'm doing:
1. Creating a circle
2. Extruding the circle
3. Generating a stupid ass wire frame instead of a solid

There aren't any helpful tutorials, every one of them says to do the same thing.

wat do

1. Matercam X5
2. Idk what I'm doing. It's extruding into a wireframe, and it needs to look like a solid

Ok guise, I think I almost got it. I had to shade it. I figured out how to do everything except make it taper towards both ends. As of right now, it's perfectly cylindrical. But, what I need is for it to taper down on BOTH ends. ily

almost.jpg

As stated by Booze Daily -"Draw your profile and revolve it around an axis."

I don't know MC, but solid modeling is pretty much the same the world over.
If it is not displaying correctly, change the view.

Doug.

Don't know MC5 but in Solidworks you can add draft to an extrusion. It's an option in the extrusion dialog so all you would have to do is draw a circle and extrude it each way with draft.

Teryk

Using circles for sketches on different planes, create Catia "Multi section solid".

Fillet the end.

Mirror the solid.

Done!

In a lot of other software, it's called a "Loft" or in some, it's an extrusion through multiple sections. Catia terminology doesn't really translate to... well, pretty much ANYTHING else, in my experience, even other Dassault software... if I knew CATIA better than I do now, I'd probably cuss it less, but as it is, I cuss it very much.

Anyways, OP, whether you want to add a 'draft angle' to your extrusion or draw the half-section and revolve it - likely depends on the dimensions you have to work with. Do you need to make it taper at a certain angle? If so, draft angle on an extrusion will be easiest. Do you need to hit a certain diameter at the end, with a certain starting diameter? Then it'd be equally easy to draw a section and revolve it, OR create a circle at each point in space and extrude/loft the circles together as a solid. This gets into the whole "Modeling your part with 'design intent' " which is another chapter... but I digress.

I have not touched Mastercam since... ~2003/2004, so I can't really help you on specific "how" but the terms (extrude, loft, sweep, draft angle) should get you where you need to be in the HELP file, assuming you installed it, and assuming their Help File is worth a shit. It should at least get you to find the button and play with the options/settings. The part looks pretty basic, so it should be straight forward once you find the right buttons to click.

Add a radius/fillet to the edges as needed after the overall body is modeled.

Back