What's new
What's new

Somewhat OT: Gene Haas finds out that Formula 1 ain't easy

Other than the top three teams, everybody’s in that boat. That to me is probably the biggest problem that I see right now, that the top three teams are light years ahead of everybody else

it would involve light years to reverse-engineering a top tier F1 car ?

i think those machines are guarded better than 100 vips :)

lack of inner intel :)

i think those machines are guarded better than 100 vips :)

lack of inner intel :)

Azon a velemenyen vagyok hogy ezen a foldon senki sincs akinek lenne egy apro szunyogfaszra valo kepessege ahhoz hogy
kitalalja mi az amit mondani akarsz!

I for one am completely clueless, but willing to learn!

The top 3 teams probably have better aerodynamicists, and during the season are in the wind tunnel 24/7 testing wings/vanes etc for the cars.

He has 3 reqs for aerodynamicists on his site, that explains a lot

Careers | Haas F1 Team

Formula 1. Yawn, yawn, yawn. Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick. Let's pretend fuel stops and tyre changes are exciting.
Formula 1. Yawn, yawn, yawn, safety car every three laps. More like a slow moving traffic jam 50% of the time.

Nascar. Yawn, yawn, yawn.

Rallying (WRC) even, pretty yawn, yawn, yawn, 140mph stages at night through snowy/icy forests, long since abandoned.
More tarmac than ever. Same issue as F1 with regard to minute team entry base.

Touring cars, still worth a look, in Europe at least (no knowledge or opinion about other championships).

Fit the cars with the tyres and brakes Nuvolari had, supply the leather cap and goggles Caracciola used, see if a F1 prima
donna turns up.

Fortunately, practising for The IOM Manx GP starts 2017-08-19.
Get your brown trousers on. No, no, just to watch, no need to ride the bikes.

yes, i guess F1 is boring :)

but if Milland likes it, maybe he has quick reactions and a need for constant Gs, that only F1 can deliver

yawn yawn makes me think of chewing gum ; i would say SHIUUVVVvvvvvv :)

I wonder how much better their machines could be with a billion invested in the company instead of F1.

Racing is addictive, and can hurt you like a hard drug.
Gene has a mediocre car, mediocre team, and mediocre drivers. If he cannot accept that, he will find himself soon in trouble.
You cannot expect to compete in your second season with Ferrari, Mercedes or Redbull. He should be satisfied if he can make a podium in the next 2-3 years.
When he started the F1 team, I was very happy to see an American team in a sport dominated for Europeans teams, but after hearing his surrealistic ambitions, I always wondered how will affect to Haas Automation. Obviously with the earned points by the end of the season, he is not going to cover all the expenses of Haas F1.

Gene got into this to expand the "awareness" of HaasCNC in Europe and Asia, so it's mostly an advertising campaign. The cars were partially designed by Ferrari, built by Dallara (one of the biggest formula car builders in the world), and run aero that's not too different than Ferrari to start with.

Triumph's comment on needing more aero is likely the main part of the team's limited success, but by rule they're no longer allowed to run wind tunnels as much as they'd like, can't even run simulations forever either - it's also limited. That, for me, is one of the frustrations of modern rules, they have so many constrictions that you're forced to spend tons of money for the tiniest gains.

As for boring - yes, sometimes, and the fans complain about it. But every so often you'll get some incredible dicing and that brings me back. The incoming Halo* may be the straw that breaks my back though...

* Think giant thong strap placed over the cockpit as a fig leaf towards increased driver protection.

Racing is addictive, and can hurt you like a hard drug.
Gene has a mediocre car, mediocre team, and mediocre drivers. If he cannot accept that, he will find himself soon in trouble.
You cannot expect to compete in your second season with Ferrari, Mercedes or Redbull. He should be satisfied if he can make a podium in the next 2-3 years.
When he started the F1 team, I was very happy to see an American team in a sport dominated for Europeans teams, but after hearing his surrealistic ambitions, I always wondered how will affect to Haas Automation. Obviously with the earned points by the end of the season, he is not going to cover all the expenses of Haas F1.

Car's been very good for a brand new team, and the two current drivers are both better than mediocre. A podium in a few years is a stretch for where they are now, would rely on a lot of cars dropping out during a race. Like eight or more.

I do remember some of the actual drug smuggling scandals from the 80's and 90's, don't think that's happening now.

That, for me, is one of the frustrations of modern rules, they have so many constrictions that you're forced to spend tons of money for the tiniest gains.
Somewhere on WWW there is a (free)book available about Honda's F1 technology from that era when Honda was doing well.
Crazy Crazy stuff, ie:
Heavy water aka deuterium oxide on cooling system, hollow connecting rods, hollow valve heads, gamma-TiAl pistons and so on.

Fortunately, practising for The IOM Manx GP starts 2017-08-19.
Get your brown trousers on. No, no, just to watch, no need to ride the bikes.

Nothing matches the Snaefell Mountain Course for pucker factor.

For pure enjoyment, try watching the Erzberg Enduro (Erzberg Rodeo), or give EnduroCross a try. It's all way more fun than F1 or MotoGP.

In my opinion the Haas team has performed very well, far in excess of many people's expectations. Perhaps Gene Haas was persuaded by somebody that F1 wasn't that tough of an engineering challenge, but it is and always has been. He has a reasonably good car, but to take the next step to a truly competitive car will need a massive step up in engineering capability that he will need to recruit. The question is - does he have the funds and the foolishness to go to that next level? For the sake of his company I hope not.

and the two current drivers are both better than mediocre.

I agree with that and I rectify my comment.

Not sure to understand what you mean with this: "I do remember some of the actual drug smuggling scandals from the 80's and 90's, don't think that's happening now."

I agree with that and I rectify my comment.

Not sure to understand what you mean with this: "I do remember some of the actual drug smuggling scandals from the 80's and 90's, don't think that's happening now."

This is a pretty long article, and doesn't get to the point very fast, but it's got references to some of the drug busts that took out some racing teams.

Drug Smuggling, Ponzi Schemes, and Fraud: Racing's Legacy of Scandal

I'll see if I can find a more concise reference. And I'm certainly not accusing Gene of any involvement with this sort of thing, it's just a riff on the "racing is a drug" aspect.

“They are also the teams that develop their own engines, transmissions and chassis, so there’s an inherent advantage in doing that."

“How do we overcome that? Quite frankly there’s no answer to that, which is really depressing.”

You've answered your own question Gene.

Back