What's new
What's new

Southbend G33 code F X.0

JOHNZ

Plastic
Hi,

New here, noticed guys on here with all kinds of experience levels so I wont be only newbie...

I just picked up a little Southbend Magnaturn612 CNC tabletop lathe from a local Votech. Its small but actually a pretty nice little lathe. It was hardly used and has no defects but a couple chips in paint. I have no manual. came with PC and software.

I have been experimenting with threading on it. I am familiar with single point threading on manual lathes but never on cnc.

It is confusing because the tool is on backside of part not on front like on a manual lathe.

there has got to be a better way to make a thread using G33 code????? one pass for each line of code adds up to a lot of lines for one thread.

I noticed it will take an F code on the the G33 line like: G33 X.1800 Z.0500 K.1 F 3.0 from a sample program.

What does the F do???

Its gotta be hard on a machine to thread.

any help would be appreciated.

John Zomok

Hi Doug,

thanks for the response.

On the software when inputting the program when I press G it prompts me with all the available G codes and list their function. G33 is only one it has. I was hoping it had a G77 or G78. there are several that say "optional function"

I was hoping it was built into the G33 code.

Although it says in brochure Southbend published that it has several "canned" cycles including threading and peck drilling.

I am thinking it was option in upgraded software or something weird like that. I have contacted SouthBend Via E-mail and asked if they had Software or manual for sale. they haven't answered me yet.

The max Rpm it will thread at is 400. I tried multiple lines of G33 code to thread and its very interesting to see it start in the same exact grove as the previous line.

It doesnt cut at 29 degrees either but straigh in by this method. which is hard on the tip of tool.

the tool holder is the turret type and has four 1/2" square and four 1/2" round openings. I have no clue on how to mount a tap or die in this. or how to line up tool to part if I was to thread using Die and G33 code.

Thanx

Zomok

what software does it have? Ultrapath or APS? For help call SBL and try to talk to Bob Swift. Excellent on the controls. He started there as a machinist. Like the rest of the machine tool industry SBL is having it's problems so it might be difficult to get ahold of him. I can probably help you if it has APS, I just purchased one that has ultrapath and will be teaching myself soon

Hi,

Yep,,,It just goes into APS v5.000 from an "old school" menu system. It came with a disk that says "Ultrapath Bastardized version" so I am assuming Ultrapath is no longer on hard drive but on the disk which I havent tried using yet.

one cool thing was that I could defrag the hard drive in like 30 seconds....and I pulled an old printer out of the closet from 15 years ago that just plugged into printer port and works! no worry about drivers and stuff like that.

I mounted two jacobs chucks in the tool carousel so that I could try drilling a hole then tapping it with a g33 code. I assume It will tap into the hole in one g33 line and in next g33 line tap out of the hole. depending on how I reverse the spindle....
smile.gif
..M03 and M04 on same line as G33 ??? I will dry run program then try it in some soft aluminum.

My goal with machine is just to famaliarize myself with CNC lathe work I have only used cnc mills.

Thanks,

John

Hi,

actualy the F isn't for feed as it would be on 99% of all other machines.

Here is what it says in one of the pages that came with lathe....

"with the addition of the F x.0 that indicates that it is a multistart (eg. F2.0 double start; F3.0 triple start; etc,)"

Thats why i am asking question. The brochure claims all these canned cycles and threading capabilities but there is no G code for them. I am asuming they are hidden in the available g code and that someone on forum who uses this lathe would know. Code that would only work on this particular program and machine....

Zomok

Back