What's new
What's new

Spindle air blast after HP coolant use

Captdave

Titanium
Remember ready in the past that most folks use spindle air blast to blow out any residual coolant in a tool holder before doing a tool change but don't recall how long to add a dwell for?

Was thinking 2-3 Seconds should be good even for larger inserted tools? 1.75" inserted drill is the largest we use and can test it when the machine is not in production.

Why?

We use very small through coolant drills that would take 15 minutes (not really) to purge coolant from the entire tool holder like how you're talking about. Yeah it's a big blast of coolant all over everything (you better have the doors closed) during tool changes, but all that shit's wet anyway.

Why?

We use very small through coolant drills that would take 15 minutes (not really) to purge coolant from the entire tool holder like how you're talking about. Yeah it's a big blast of coolant all over everything (you better have the doors closed) during tool changes, but all that shit's wet anyway.
Had just seen many replies to different questions that suggested blowing out the tool or spindle during a tool change after using a coolant through tool. This is our first go at it so I'm just asking for best practice, since I have several hundred programs that will need editing, now is a good time to do it all at once if needed:D

I can't see why it would matter unless you're not filtering your thru coolant line to the spindle. But I'm interested to hear other opinions.

check this out :
... tool at toolpath end
... M5 & M9
... blow long
... rapid it up
... blow short
... tool change

1st blow will clear most of the coolant, but there will be something remanent inside, that can not go out, because it is sustained inside by the air purge

a break will make it fall
also the rapid up will have the same effect :)

2nd blow will almost clear it :) all the best :)

When I first got this VM2 I got the 1000psi through spindle coolant option. I thought it took way to long to turn on and then the spindle blow out was even more time. At the time I was under the impression that you should/have to blow out the tool.
I just unhooked the unit and have not used it since (I can make someone a offer you cant refuse ;))

Fast forward now and the brother that I got not only does not blow out after through spindle coolant, it has taper washdown after every tool change. So danged if I know what is right.
Gary

So danged if I know what is right

of course :)

... low coolant concentration
... machine is not used for a couple of days
... all tapers will rust :)

what are the chances for this ? be sure that it may happen :)

I have my cam blow out the tool for 3 sec after tsc on my okumas. That is usually sufficient. Small drills it won't be enough and I edit the dwell by hand on those.

My only mazak automatically blows the tool out while the spindle is traveling to the toolchanger.

Why? Is this something you've changed and seen some difference in something? Or just always done it that way? I

There's a sticker recommending the coolant tube be blown out on Okumas. Not sure if it makes any difference or not. I've always done this and haven't had any problems.

Okumas have a pin with a seal that seals to the end of the pullstud. If you don't blow the tool out there is usually a blast of coolant that shoots out when the tool is changed. I'm not sure if this hurts the seal over time or not. They recommend changing the pin every so often, but I've never needed to change my pins. The seal still looks good.

I also haven't had any small passages in tools clog up. We used to blow out the tools at the end of the day by calling them up in mdi and turning on the air blow, but that got old. It's much nicer if the machine blows them out after it's done using the tool.

hy Edster :) i have in mind from some time this automatic behaviour ... is there a signal that can be read with the vord* variable ?

i did not searched for it yet, but if it is there, than it will make Okuma to behave like the Mazak :codger:

I don't know, let me know if you find it. It would be easier if the machine just took care of this by itself.

They recommend changing the pin every so often
hy Edster :) yup, i know ... i regard this more as an inspection, not ghanging : if that oring goes out of order, some coolant may reach expensive areas :)

let me know if you find it

i will ... i don't know when i will start digging for it :) at least if i knew that it is there, than i would be motivated :)

In a volume production setting it takes way too much time to blow them out.... The cavity in the back holds too much coolant. One thing that I had to do when using thru spindle mist was to make a coolant tube to get from the TRK to the back of the tool, or seal on into the front holder/collet area. This helpd response time for getting mist to the cutting edge and preventing the machine from sligning the mist fluid into the trk cavity. Same would go for clearing coolant from the tool at tool change, if you wanted to do it. This is where ad/b coolant holes have some advantage. Though I never ran thru mist with ad/b holes, may not work well. But they provide very fast response for small tools to get coolant to the tip of the tool.

Use your machines around the clock, don't worry about the coolant, just keep it topped up and make chips.

make a coolant tube to get from the TRK to the back of the tool, or seal on into the front holder/collet area

hy huskermcdoogle :) please, can you share an image with this setup ?

i don't understand ; kindly !

Don't seem to have a picture of this that I can find. It was at my last place of work. Just picture a piece of steel tubing with an od o-ring seal into the TRK. Then, we had a collar and spring on the other end and a face seal so there could be variance in length from back of TRK to back of tool. This was for use in a permanent assembly. Not really a job shop type application. But it didn't allow any voids for thru mist to collect in as the velocity would keep it off the walls due to small cross sectional flow channel.

Back