What's new
What's new

Spindle Repair - Okuma Multus

jhearons

Cast Iron
The milling spindle on one of the Multus (Multi?) at work has crapped the bed. This is a 10k rpm, oil mist lubricated, integral motor spindle with a Capto C6 interface. I am simply looking for recommendations or warnings regarding spindle rebuilders. I have reached out to the first 5 or 6 results on Google for repairing this spindle and everyone seems to be clustered around the same price and lead time so now I am looking to back up a decision with some real world advice. Thanks in advance.

I have no experience with your brand , but, I have had several 10k spindles rebuilt by Atlanta Precision spindle, On one occasion a spindle failed after the stated warranty, and they stood behind their work anyway. My machine service / repair guys, all use these folks. Ask for Harry, he is the owner. 678-225-7855

Okuma America was advertising spindle rebuilds at IMTS - might be worth checking to see if they are a swap out unit available.

I've used Northland Tool & Electronics for lathe spindles, it was a rush (aren't they all) and it was handled well. Balanced with draw tube and closer. After several years of intense use it's still going strong. Good folks to work with.

The price of a spindle rebuild is almost entirely based on the cost of the bearings. I would not expect prices to vary much between shops.

Where you get in trouble is when the taper gouged, the bearing has spun on the journal, or the spindle is bent. Now you're talking about grinding and chrome plating and more grinding and god knows what you might run into.

If it's just noisy or running a little hot it's not a big job.

Use the manufacturer? I believe most fo the resllers have a spindle rebuilding shop. Hartwig has one in Houston FYI.

For something big, fancy, and expensive like that I'd just get an Okuma tech to do a spindle swap and return the old one for the core charge.

The 5-10k you might save would get eaten up pretty quick if it's not back running when it should be.

Savings

For something big, fancy, and expensive like that I'd just get an Okuma tech to do a spindle swap and return the old one for the core charge.

The 5-10k you might save would get eaten up pretty quick if it's not back running when it should be.

$5-10k is hahaha funny. Try $20k plus paying for 2 techs to remove and install at another $10k or so. Okuma hasn't even been able to provide a lead time on a replacemnt cartridge. I am certainly very leery of using a rebuilder but the money end of things is making a very persuasive argument. Fortunately, my boss said he wouldn't hold it against me if there were any issues. It's just an agonizing decision.

Back