What's new
What's new

Spindle vibration

bdrmachine

Aluminum
I pulled the 12 inch 3 jaw chuck off of my used (newly acquired) 2011 Romi c420 lathe. The chuck was removed for cleaning and inspection. The machine functioned perfectly prior to removal (which was fairly ez). I set the lathe to manual mode with a spindle speed of 20 rpm. When I power up the spindle it doesn't rotate normally. It seem to vibrate. What could be causing this, PID? This machine has a 802 Siemens control.

Thanks
Brian

Unmount everything again, you failed in the assembly process. A chip can cause that. If the sleeve is atached by a thread, usualy are, make sure it is stuck to the end.

I pulled the 12 inch 3 jaw chuck off of my used (newly acquired) 2011 Romi c420 lathe. The chuck was removed for cleaning and inspection. The machine functioned perfectly prior to removal (which was fairly ez). I set the lathe to manual mode with a spindle speed of 20 rpm. When I power up the spindle it doesn't rotate normally. It seem to vibrate. What could be causing this, PID? This machine has a 802 Siemens control.

Thanks
Brian

You did reinstall the chuck before this running at 20 rpms correct? If not it is it could be because the drive is tuned to turn the 12" chuck.

You did reinstall the chuck before this running at 20 rpms correct? If not it is it could be because the drive is tuned to turn the 12" chuck.

Correct! The machine has no chuck mounted. I will put the chuck back on and see if this goes away.

Thanks for the reply.

Correct! The machine has no chuck mounted. I will put the chuck back on and see if this goes away.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, if the draw tube is flopping in the breeze, I guess that could do it. Although, I had a CNC lathe once that I would often put a manual scroll chuck on and it never had vibration issues with the tube bouncing around in the spindle.

It's likely the inertia setting on the drive. Drive is overreacting to speed changes and can't settle out. Install the chuck and problem will go away.

It's likely the inertia setting on the drive. Drive is overreacting to speed changes and can't settle out. Install the chuck and problem will go away.

Thanks guys for the replies. I spoke to Romi tech support yesterday (So far they are GREAT people to deal with) There is a setting on the Siemens control to fix this situation. It allows you to select "With or With out chuck". Small light weight chucks need the "without option selected"

Thanks
Again

Back