What's new
What's new

Steel measuring tape

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

Does anyone have a source for steel measuring tapes?
I'd like to get an 18' long steel, adhesive backed tape that has inch increments of no more than 1/32nds for the whole length, though decimal divisions would be preferred.
Also, I'd like it it to be perhaps 1.5" or wider.

The ones I've found all have only the first 1 foot in the 1/32nds, the remaining is in 1/8ths.
Kinda retarded considering all metric tapes are in mm increments for the whole length.

Anyhow, if there are no better choices, I'd also consider a metric tape.

Thanks

Might try looking for self adhesive tapes for (woodworking) miter saws. I've seen them with 1/16ths the whole length; perhaps someone does 1/32nds. Most are only about 3/4" wide, though.

More hassle, but you could buy a regular retracting tape and a roll of double stick foam tape. "Engineer's" tapes come in decimal inches. If you run a 3/8" or so ribbon of foam tape either side of a 1"+ wide tape it would probably accommodate the crown.

Also, not sure what the application is, but laser measuring tapes under $100 (e.g. Bosch) are now good to +/- 1/16th. If you're just rough cutting stock etc.; then maybe lashing one to some sort of sliding track might be an alternative?? Put in a couple calibration points along the track and you could quickly assure accuracy now and then.

You can also get simple stick on magnetic strip that a simple battery powered display - reader screen reads too, there not as cheap as a tape but very accurate and reliable. Igus offers some versions but theres a lot of other cheaper sources out there too.

Basically I have a bunch of 1-2-10 piece lots of various shape and length AL parts to make.
The lengths are between 60 and 125", with drilled or slotted features in-between.

The longest thing I have that is accurate for measuring is a 36" vernier, and the longest I can machine in one shot is 48".
So, basically I either try my absolute best and poke in holes at say 10" increments into a 12' bar, or ( which is what I'm attempting ), glue a
steel measuring tape to a 2x4 AL rectangle ( not #2 pine lumber!!!) and basically turn it into a long ass measuring stick with reasonable accuracy.

I also want to affix the same tape to the table of the radial saw so the stuff can be cut accurately.

Basically I have a bunch of 1-2-10 piece lots of various shape and length AL parts to make.
The lengths are between 60 and 125", with drilled or slotted features in-between.

The longest thing I have that is accurate for measuring is a 36" vernier, and the longest I can machine in one shot is 48".
So, basically I either try my absolute best and poke in holes at say 10" increments into a 12' bar, or ( which is what I'm attempting ), glue a
steel measuring tape to a 2x4 AL rectangle ( not #2 pine lumber!!!) and basically turn it into a long ass measuring stick with reasonable accuracy.

drill the first 48 inches worth of holes.
for the last hole, leave the drill bit/endmill/etc in the hole.. unclamp the 12 foot bar.. move the table under it to the new location. clamp the bar, lift the z axis out of the hole, drill the next hole....

drill the first 48 inches worth of holes.
for the last hole, leave the drill bit/endmill/etc in the hole.. unclamp the 12 foot bar.. move the table under it to the new location. clamp the bar, lift the z axis out of the hole, drill the next hole....

Have done this multiple times, just got to pay attention on how close machine is to the wall, I may or may not have broached a square hole thru the wall... lol

We use a lot of Oregon Rule tapes. They're a lot like the tape in a tape measure, except flat and adhesive-backed. Pi Tape sells fancy, all-metal tapes with traceable certs and they can be read with a vernier, but they also cost 20X more.

. . . So, basically I either try my absolute best and poke in holes at say 10" increments into a 12' bar, or ( which is what I'm attempting ), glue a
steel measuring tape to a 2x4 AL rectangle ( not #2 pine lumber!!!) and basically turn it into a long ass measuring stick with reasonable accuracy. . . .

Not sure I entirely understand the process. But, ages ago you'd carefully drill an aluminum bar just once, insert drill bushings, and use those as your master. I suspect it would have been just as quick and accurate as measuring hole locations for each piece, then shimmying a dozen aluminum bars across a mill, four feet at a time?

Pete

That is still an option, and I actually have one 4x4 AL square sitting across my Milltronics right now.
It is primarily used to actually machine the parts and drill in the features.
Slightly chewed up ( holes and slots everywhere ), but it does serve this purpose.

The tape thing would be more for cutting the bars to length accurately, without having to later put them on the mill just to finish the ends.

For measuring to length, might try a water tank gauging, oil gauging, or surveyor's tape? The former are usually flat steel or fiberglass, with measurements at least to 16ths, and FLAT. The Surveyor's tapes will typically read in decimal inches; and also be flat. None will be as wide as you'd hoped for, but should still be easy enough to read.

Back