What's new
What's new

Sub spindle related questions. Primarily positioning.

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Howdy.
I bough an Okuma LB3000 with a sub and esprit 2 years ago, and due to family issues and lack of appropriate jobs have not really ran the sub that much. My questions are as follows. How do I set the sub origin in relation to the part origin and how do I make a master tool for the sub. I think the second question I can answer as it lies in the second spindle setup but the first bothers me. How is it supposed to know where home is where I have to tell it to pick up in relation to that and so on. I will call gosiger and esprit tomorrow but thought you guys might have a few ideas as well.

Thank you

I've never used an Okuma, but on fanuc I set all tools (main or sub facing) on the same origin (using the toolsetter) and use a different work offset for working on the sub.

hi,
i to have a lb3000, the cool thing about okuma is you treat the sub just like the main, as far as writing the program and setting up the master tool.
when you are ready to do a pick up, just run the sub down to the part and just touch the bottom of the jaws and as said earlier hit calculate, then back up till you are off the part and put that number in your program, as where to feed from. after you have the part and the main chuck is open just put in a g00 w100. and it will rapid home.

hi,
i to have a lb3000, the cool thing about okuma is you treat the sub just like the main, as far as writing the program and setting up the master tool.
when you are ready to do a pick up, just run the sub down to the part and just touch the bottom of the jaws and as said earlier hit calculate, then back up till you are off the part and put that number in your program, as where to feed from. after you have the part and the main chuck is open just put in a g00 w100. and it will rapid home.

Thank you. I now have to figure out how to get Esprit to write it, but I guess I can just go in and edit whatever it puts out.

Hello.
Sub in Z.
Thank you

In Esprit, set the pickup position to zero and on the machine set the work offset zero location for the sub spindle to the point where you want to clamp the part (for example, 20mm back from the face of the part) To be safe, add a clearance value in Esprit of say, 25mm or so to feed the last bit.

I usually machine the first op in the main, then use a magnetic tool length sensor on the front of the sub spindle jaws. Jog it up to the part, zero the "A" axis then take off the length of the sensor + the amount you want to grab it by.

Posts perfectly out of Esprit, no edits ;)

Esprit Pickup.jpg

On our Mori NLX2500SY, I set the main chuck face to G54 Z0 and the sub chuck face to G55 Z0.

During part handoff, I'm in G54, so whatever I have in G55 is irrelevant. Mori designates the subspindle position as the B-axis. I set my G54 B-axis offset to where the chuck jaws would be touching at G54 B0. That way the B-axis uses the same Z coordinate values as the turret.

After part handoff/cutoff, the program resumes in G55 with B-axis in the home position.

In Esprit, set the pickup position to zero and on the machine set the work offset zero location for the sub spindle to the point where you want to clamp the part (for example, 20mm back from the face of the part) To be safe, add a clearance value in Esprit of say, 25mm or so to feed the last bit.

I usually machine the first op in the main, then use a magnetic tool length sensor on the front of the sub spindle jaws. Jog it up to the part, zero the "A" axis then take off the length of the sensor + the amount you want to grab it by.

Posts perfectly out of Esprit, no edits ;)

View attachment 201624

Perfect. Thank you.

Though one question. How do I set the tools to the sub in this scenario. Or am I overthinking it. IE Where does Esprit think part zero is for the sub and where should the machine think it is? Do I set them to the front of the jaws or to whatever value I had at move to pick up the part, for example in your case zero plus 20mm? Thank you.

Standard in Esprit is to use G55 for the sub, so you would set G54 to the front face of the part, and G55 to the rear (which becomes the front when transferred to the sub). To set G55 in the machine, I just take the length of the part (say 50mm), minus the amount I'm going to hold it by (say 20mm) an set G55 that amount in front of the sub spindle jaws (30mm in this case).

After running the first part, you might want to fine tune the G55 setting in the machine to get the correct overall length, but I have always fount it to be within tolerance for my parts.

Obviously you don't use G54/55, Esprit should kick out G140 for Main work and G141 for sub. Program as if the face of the part is Z zero just the same, OSP doesn't care, as long as it knows which spindle is running. Sorry for my Ignorance as far as Esprit goes (very limited)

R

Per post #11 if you are using a probe to touch off tools it doesn't matter the control calculates all that for you, if you are physically touching off tools using CAL will do the "CAL"culation for you, so yeah you are over thinking it.

hy walker / skywalker :) do you know G22 ? feed the axis until effort raises ?

G22 is there for parts transfer :)

please, what is a master tool ? kindly !

I dont use the torque function (G22) , I never really found it necessary.
although if i started, im sure i would find it handy. i dont get out on
the floor much anymore, im programming now. the lathe i ran just sits there.

I dont use the torque function (G22) , I never really found it necessary. although if i started, im sure i would find it handy

good to you :) in other words, length tolerances were ok ...

G22 is there when length tolerances get lower + safe transfer of heavy parts + etc

i dont get out on the floor much anymore, im programming now. the lathe i ran just sits there

if i may : be careful not to get fat ? sorry :)

i may : be careful not to get fat ? sorry

It is to late, it has already started. lol

Programming tips for you
G140 (MAIN SPINDLE)
G141 (sub spindle)

position setting help.
Manual mode, select spindle 1 or main spindle
move the W axis and touch off the end of the finished part and Cal zero (Teach) "W" zero in Work offset for the pick off position if you are going to transfer parts

Teaching the Zero offset for the sub spindle:
Manual mode
Select spindle 2 (sub)
index to master tool and Teach your Zero shift just like you would on the Main side.

Back