What's new
What's new

Subspindle used as center for shaft turning?

Zep

Aluminum
I have an Okuma Captain L370 MW lathe with OSP E100L controller. machine has subspindle for transfering parts for second op. Has anyone had experience putting a center into subspindle and using to support longer shafts for turning? Techs havent been much help as the machine is designed mainly for transfers so control looks for an open chuck condition before spindles synch. There has to be a way to lie to the control to achieve this but I havent had much luck so far. If anyone has come across this issue and has a code that works I would be greatly appreciative.

You have a center that fits in the subspindle right? Does it fit into the bore of the chuck? Is it a live center? Even if it is a dead center wont the subspindle spin freely? I don't think you should have to turn on the subspindle, just let it free wheel. Maybe??

Joshman

subspindle is a chuck. if removed you have to deal with parameters to disable draw bar etc. to get down to actual spindle. otherwise
everything is floating. ie drawbar, chuck coverplate. So no place to locate a live center. We have tried dragging subspindle along as you would a live center but the drag when starting and braking damages the center or workpiece. Hence the need to synchronize the spindles. Wrong machine for this type of work, same machine with a tailstock would have been more suited to our needs .

Have you checked with Okuma to see if they have anything available to do this with what you have? For example, I know they have a spring loaded live center for mounting in one turret on 4 axis chuckers for the time when you need a center now and then. It's spring loaded because if solid mounted it will trip out the axis drive if it's moved in a thou or two too far. Ask me how I know this
biggrin.gif

might work if I had a sub turret, unfortunatly only the one
almost there tho
variable allows synch of spindles by lying that spindle is unclamped while it is actually clamped
VCHIO=1 inside
VCHIO=0 outside

so far this works

N0100 G94
N0101 M248
N0102 M247
N0103 VCHIO=1
N0104 M151
N0105 G00W13.6
N0106 G1W13.44F20.0
N0107 VCHIO=0
N0108 G95
N0109 M01

not quite perfect as gear selection has to be removed from program to make work ,
but it will get me by until I can sort out something better

again any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated

OH COOL! We gots two of these here threads going on eh?

To add to my other posting - I got the Concentric and put installed it in a "Solid Socket". Basic inch diamters on the OD with MT ID's.

Think more of the same threads eh!
Ox

P.S.
Am I going to find any more as I go up the threads list?
wink.gif

Back