What's new
What's new

Sump care. Aquarium bubbler?

dsergison

Diamond
edit:

was going to have a pic of my vmc sump after 3 weeks sitting with hangsteffers.
sorry my pic upload is not working... anyway it looks nasty.

also, no I have not ignored my previous responses to a favorite coolant thread. I have ordered some new stuff and some sump cleaner and it should be here very soon.
I bought the Oak 650 by Cimicool BTW. I chose it because it was recommended, and doesn't smell like a "Trim shop"?

my question is, is an aquarium bubbler an useful addition?

The bubbler will work but it will also make a mess of anything near it. As each bubble burst a very tiny droplet will pop and float up in the air. It will land near buy. I made a bubbler and tried it in a barrel of old coolant hoping it would evaporate the water content. It was a third full open barrel and after a few min there was a fine fog coming up out of the barrel. Not a good smelling fog either.

worth adding it probaly needs to be in there from fresh coolant, once gone off well its akin to trying to scrape the mold off of Danish blue cheese :-)

edit:

was going to have a pic of my vmc sump after 3 weeks sitting with hangsteffers.
sorry my pic upload is not working... anyway it looks nasty.

also, no I have not ignored my previous responses to a favorite coolant thread. I have ordered some new stuff and some sump cleaner and it should be here very soon.
I bought the Oak 650 by Cimicool BTW. I chose it because it was recommended, and doesn't smell like a "Trim shop"?

my question is, is an aquarium bubbler an useful addition?

I'm not sure if it's a translation thing, but is "trim shop" a slang term for whore-house??

worth adding it probaly needs to be in there from fresh coolant, once gone off well its akin to trying to scrape the mold off of Danish blue cheese :-)

Oh, good grief... Here comes Gordon to tell us why you should leave the mold on Danish blue cheese, because that's how you're supposed to eat it, and we're uncultured swine.

:D

Replace the coolant and then add the bubbler. A bubbler is great at stopping the coolant festering, but little use after the fact

Haha... Trim shop is what someone said their parts bins come back smelling like. Several people said it was obvious when you walk into a shop using trim.... So I chose otherwise.

I already have sump cleaner coming, as I said.

I need to do a better job of condensing every important word into a single sentence post. Yes I am cleaning the sump first!

Coolant typically gets that rotten egg smell because there is an oil layer of some sort protecting the water base from the atmosphere, and the bacteria use up all the available oxygen. After that happens, anaerobic bacteria will start to grow and liberate the sulfur from your coolant mix. The air bubbler works because it disturbs the surface and provides circulation. No gas exchange actually occurs through the bubbles, it is all at the surface. So anything that stirs up the surface will accomplish the same thing. A cheap garden pond pump with a hose pouring back into the tank will do nicely, and will likely last longer than any air pump I have ever owned.

If you got the extra cash I would put a coalescer on it. I have them on my machines, and they sit for weeks at a time. No problems or rancid coolant. Could problably build one for a third of the price.

I think yes. I heard that bubbler a useful addition for the aquarium. May you advise me a good aquarium? Just I like all sorts of colorful fish. And have long dreamed about them. And, so I bought corals, you can see how they look at Live Rock For Saltwater Aquariums - The Ultimate Guide | ARC Reef. I'm afraid that they won't fit in the aquarium. Therefore, according to the parameters, I am looking for an aquarium about 500 liters. Will be better, if that it stay vertically. Well, it seems it's all basic amenities. I would appreciate it if you can help me.

Back