What's new
What's new

Supermax Pulsating lead screw

vblockhead

Plastic
I have an older Supermax YCM 30 belt drive. I noticed that at times when I am running a program, the X axis pulsates. That coupled with dimension inaccuracies in my last run has me puzzled. The servo belt is in good condition.
Could it be an encoder problem ? Capacitor issue? Has anybody experienced this ???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
VBLOCK-HEAD

I'm going to assume the YCM30 is fairly similar to the YCM40, which is what my observations are based on.

I've had an x axis encoder problem but it wouldn't read at all and it would full rapid till it alarmed out. I assume you don't get any alarms. Have you checked the lube system to make sure everything is getting lubed. You might check your gibs and make sure they're not too tight. How are the thrust bearings?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi Jay
Thank you for response. I haven't checked the thrust bearings. Will do. I did slightly tighten the gibes, about 1/4 a turn.They seemed pretty loose. What is puzzling is that all my dimensions were wrong except for the last one, which was always correct ?????
In all the parts I ran (7) two were on the money and the others were off from 5 to 15thou. Its beginning to scream "encoder" to me. What do you think ?
Thanks again for your input.
Warm Regards
Tom V

After thinking about it, an encoder could be a problem. Do you have a centroid control or something else? If it's centroid, an encoder is about $200 IIRC from centroid. You can buy them elsewhere but they won't have the correct cable, so you'll need to solder it on. A test to try is run a few test parts but swap encoders between X and Y and see if you still have the same issues.

Have you also checked the belt tension? Or pulley alignment? The belt could be jumping a tooth or riding up on the side and creating a different gear ratio.

What kinds of features are you machining that aren't accurate? What about the one that is?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Are items on the X & Y drives identical so you can swap them back and forth?

Back