What's new
What's new

Surface problem Milltap 700

Morgan1

Plastic
I have a Milltap 700 with problem to get a good smoth Surface when 2 axes X and Y move the same time. When only running X or Y the Surface is perfect. 45degree angle is worst but if I run in manual mode and just push X and Y button the same time to get an angled Surface the Surface is better.
Is there any other with a Milltap that have had the same problem?
I believe it should not be like this never seen it on other machines.
Hope someone could help me.

/Morgan

Probably servo tuning?
Also recheck level and that all feet on on the ground proper.
3rd and 1st option, call the dealer and tell them to come do their effing job.

I do remember one member here some years ago with bad chatter issues, I think it turned out to be a cracked casting.

Well the dealer have tried for several times with no better results and say this is normal. I also think it has something to do with the servo maybe only servo tuning. Anyone else seen this problem on a Milltap? the surface in one axis is very good only bad when interpolated looks like facets.

Any chance you can take a few pictures of the finish and post them here?

+1

Picture is worth a thousand words here. Also some details on the CAM system, so on would help. If you want to diagnose it further, do a series of bevel cuts that park one axis at a time, then moving all three one way and zig zag. Should paint a pretty good picture for you.

Angle45_round.jpgY_axis.jpg
One picture is 45 degree angle and a outer round profile the other is y-axis on the same part same speed and feed. This is just from one point to another simple program for test. So the problem is isolated to when booth axis move together nothing to do with the mill or speed then the y axis would have seen bad out also. What is a bevel cut? sorry my bad english.

View attachment 207991View attachment 207990
One picture is 45 degree angle and a outer round profile the other is y-axis on the same part same speed and feed. This is just from one point to another simple program for test. So the problem is isolated to when booth axis move together nothing to do with the mill or speed then the y axis would have seen bad out also. What is a bevel cut? sorry my bad english.

A bevel is an angle/chamfer that ends in a sharp edge/acute angle (smaller than 90º). But there are varied opinions on that. So I'm not sure what Husker is talking about. :dopeslap:

Gotta say, maybe I'm wrong but that pattern looks a lot like a Conventional cut pattern, with too much or too little stock. The pattern looks like the runout of the tool, or maybe the Toolholder flexing. Drawbar? Shitty Taper? Corrosion? Something makes me think this isn't the machine.

R

That round part looks to me a lot like your cad/cam is making some wide flats to make a circle by using a bunch of straight lines.
What does the code say?
What's your cad/cam, how's it set for tolerance?
Also what's the feed rate? maybe something is making it choke on code? but I'd expect that machine to be able to haul ass in all directions eh so probably not that.

We own a Milltap 700 also but haven’t noticed this issue. It is a 30 tapper so cutting hard material might produce this issue if the tooling and program are not optimized for it. What material is this? Tool runout? So many things to check but if it is the machine have it serviced asap! This is unacceptable! If you are sure your set-up, Tooling and program is on point call Mori and give them hell! We have like 8 Moris and as soon as any issues pop up we bang at their door. These machines are not cheap and you expect nothing but perfection. Call your Mori sales guy and tell them you are in the market for a new machine but this issue is making you look elsewhere. Im sure they will have a service guy at your shop! lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We own a Milltap 700 also but haven’t noticed this issue. It is a 30 tapper so cutting hard material might produce this issue if the tooling and program are not optimized for it. What material is this? Tool runout? So many things to check but if it is the machine have it serviced asap! This is unacceptable! If you are sure your set-up, Tooling and program is on point call Mori and give them hell! We have like 8 Moris and as soon as any issues pop up we bang at their door. These machines are not cheap and you expect nothing but perfection. Call your Mori sales guy and tell them you are in the market for a new machine but this issue is making you look elsewhere. Im sure they will have a service guy at your shop! lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good that you don't have the problem and yes DMG/Mori has tried for a long time to fix it, and on monday a siemens technichian is comming and he has good hope to tune it so it will work.

I have seen this before on another type of machine, we tried everything, and once we had swapped everything else, it ended up being an axis drive issue. Swapped the drive with another axis and the problem went with it. Put a new one in there and the problem went away completely. Wasn't an issue at lower speeds or light depths of cut, only when some torque was needed.

By the way your original email was written it sounded like you were doing 3d work. But your pictures are of a circle diamond square... This works, but won't help diagnose if it does it in combination with z, which will help you isolate which axis is the problem. What I had meant by bevel was to do make some tipped planes that are not perpendicular to the spindle or any other axis that require interpolated movement in only 2 axes at a time to produce. These would be 3D surface type toolpaths.

I have the issue whatever speed I run so I hope it's only tuning but good to know that the servo could be the issue. I'm trying to understand what kind of surface you mean I should try to run, it's sound very good to try to isolate what axis it is. In some way you mean to run x and z together and y and z to see if it's Y or X that's the problem.

Husker is trying to get all 3 axes (XYZ) moving at the same time, but it isn't needed as the problem is there just using X and Y. Adding Z would just add one axis to the question.

What software are you using?
I think you have 5 Axes, right? (XYZ+AB rotary and trunnion)
How much is the tool running out from the spindle?
Can you post the section of code that is giving you trouble?

assuming its not a programming issue, that looks terrible.

Does that mean if it is a programming issue, it looks good? :D

Husker is trying to get all 3 axes (XYZ) moving at the same time, but it isn't needed as the problem is there just using X and Y. Adding Z would just add one axis to the question.

What software are you using?
I think you have 5 Axes, right? (XYZ+AB rotary and trunnion)
How much is the tool running out from the spindle?
Can you post the section of code that is giving you trouble?

Does that mean if it is a programming issue, it looks good? :D

I'm using edgecam but that is not the issue this is just test part with G01 from one point to another not small steps as it look like.
Yes it is 5 axis XYZ and AC I think it's called rotary...
The tool is not far out, as wrote in the first message in the same part the surface from only X axis look good with same tool and feed.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

The tool is not far out, as wrote in the first message in the same part the surface from only X axis look good with same tool and feed.

I mean "runout" as in Loppua, TIR. I'm not asking if it's good, I'm asking how much? When you put an indicator on the tool, in the spindle, how much TIR are you seeing?

Still not seeing segment of the code in error. You said
this is just test part with G01 from one point to another not small steps as it look like.

If the Arc moves are small segmented G01 moves, bingo that is your problem!!! Even if they are small Arc moves, that is not as good as one line of code that swings the completion of the Arc.

R

Back