What's new
What's new

Taps and their Collets

dapostman5

Plastic
Hello. First time poster but long time browser.
The post throughout these forums have been very helpful for a newbie like me to learn basic ideas about machining. I do not have much hands-on experience. I work in sales with a Japanese tooling distributor and with me being the only native English speaker technical aspects are difficult to grasp from my Japanese counter parts who have more experience but lack English fluency.

My question is probably easily understood by most but I am having a hard time finding a good explanation online about Taps and their associated collet. Since my company is Japanese many of my customers use JIS collets for tapping applications and stress JIS shank size when requesting Taps.

However, I cannot seem to find what makes a JIS shank a JIS shank. Also, DIN shank and ANSI shank. And how it relates to their respective collets.

I guess my main question is regarding tool holding systems and if there is a good explanation online anyone would be so kind to reference. I have done rather well in learning online about the ideas regarding machining but still lack what seems to be basic information due to language barriers.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to seeing more experienced member's responses.

Thank you for the chart link. I have seen this also and it does help me a little. Is there a good flow chart of how/why different tool holders work or are the way they are. For example I think CAT40 is an ANSI tool holder but is it possible to put a JIS Collet in an ANSI toolholder? I am looking for some kind of flow chart to help me connect some dots that are missing regarding tool holding systems.

I know this is strange and probably Machining 101 for many but I am interested to learn more on how the systems interact and best way to recommend to customers.

I wish I knew the answer. I would think a good staring point for that question would be a Mfgr, like OSG, Vega, Nachi, etc....
Maybe a call to Command or Collis, might yield and answer.
I have wondered the same question myself, as I look into taps for various materials.:nutter:
As far as the Tap Collet/ Tool Holder/ Cat-V Flange ~flowchart~ again, I have no clue.

Dang, I think I just wasted Don's bandwidth with my reply. I wish I was more help.

I hope some of the old timers will chime in on this.

Doug.

Paging John oder...ding, ding, ding.

Back