What's new
What's new

Thinking of dumping our crapy Haas mills. Has anybody here used Haas 5 axis rotaries?

exon111

Plastic
Thinking of dumping our crappy Haas mills. Anyone running Haas 5 axis rotaries?

Over the past couple years, not knowing any better, I bought 4 Haas verticals for the shop I started from scratch. First machine I got was an 2006 VF2 with almost no extra options. It has given me almost no problems. The other 3 machines I bought were new VF-3SS models with though tool coolant, 40 tools, and 5 axis options installed. I combined each VF3 with a Haas TR-160 rotary.

This whole setup has been horribly unreliable since day one. My new Haas machines all arrived with problems right out of the box. Now that the warranties have expired, I'm literally spending WELL over $10k per machine annually in repairs, and that's with an independent tech. It was way worse using service from the local HFO. These machines are less than 2 years old. They are down probably 20% of the time. The rotaries are worse, I now have two spares because they break so much. I spend another $5k rebuilding each rotary about once per year, if I'm lucky. So that's $15k+ for the rotary / machine combination every year in repairs.

Is just me, or is this pretty ridiculous? The repair costs are bad enough, but the constant downtime is becoming too much to handle. We run aluminum on these machines 24 hours a day, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that Haas machines aren't built for round the clock production.

Does it seem worthwhile to sell our Haas mills, take the ~30% hit in depreciation, and go to something more expensive like the Okuma M560? I have no experience with any 5 axis rotary other than Haas. Are the Nikken trunnions better, or will they need be rebuilt every year too? Last thing I want to do is buy more expensive rotaries only to find out they don't last any longer and cost even more to repair than the Haas.

I actually just started running two haas dt1s' with the same trunnions. I cant speak on alot of what youve asked, but i can say they are not as high performance as i thought. For aluminum i would think they would be alright. I can see why you said they arent for round the clock machining. But in all fairness i guess they do about as well as the price would imply. If i was you and could swing it, i would go for the okuma. I think hardinge makes trunnions too.

Well... ya I would never think of Haas as a machine for 24-7 operation, and I am a supporter. :D Seriously though, if you need to do that volume I would probably look elsewhere too. As for the nikken, we had a small (I think the smallest one they make for a 5c adapter) 5 axis unit. We had it on a 2012 (I think) robodrill and we had problems with the A axis returning to the reference zero. Don't know if this was the table or machine, but the Fanuc guys couldn't fix it for us.
Have you looked at a full 5 axis machine? Is there a reason you got a trunnion, other than maybe cost?
As to your downtime, that seems excessive. I have run Haas machines (not 24-7 however) for years with no service. Actually think I ran a ca 2008 mill for about 4 years with no problems whatsoever. Not to say they don't make lemons, as well as other MTB if you read thru the forums here. Now that I think about it, I think every machine has a horror story you can find on here and the corresponding people that will never own brand xxx machine again. For some reason it seems the Haas line polarizes people between absolutely hating them and loving them, just my 2cents.

That seems like a lot of money on repairs and down time. I would call my HFO and have a chat, certainly HAAS is going to want a chance to address this and keep you as a customer. If you don't get a serious response from your HFO I would go directly to the factory and not stop until I found the right guy to help. I am sure you have all this down time documented so get the information together and create a folder for each machine.

Set up a meeting with your sales guy and service manager and review each machine and ask them for an explanation. This amount of money spent annually to keep what are basically new machines is unacceptable, this kind of down time can kill a shop.

Good Luck

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Is just me, or is this pretty ridiculous? The repair costs are bad enough, but the constant downtime is becoming too much to handle. We run aluminum on these machines 24 hours a day, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that Haas machines aren't built for round the clock production.

Haas machines are pretty good for the money and do make some people lots of money. On the other hand, They are NOT made for 24 production! I'd lose my freakin mind of I were dropping the amount of cash you are on repairs and parts.
If it's not gonna completely break you I'd say get rid of your machines (used Haas are easy to sell).

Get ahold of whoever is dealing Brother, Doosan, or Okuma and tell em your tired of Haas :smoking:

Or that he runs a 8" face mill through steel all day.

He stated he runs aluminum on these. Still seems to be a lot of money on repair and downtime. I would be calling for a serious meeting with Haas. While under warranty, surely Haas had concerns on the amount of service calls and repair required?

Since the late 90s I have probably bought 30 Haas machine's. And out of all of those I think I may have had problems with three. One was a pallet changer on a VF2-SS cutting the cable on the 4th axis (admitted it was a bad design from Haas/Midico). Another was a spindle on an EC-1600 because I was abusing it in welded Stellite, and the most recent was some parameters on an ST20-Y throwingY axis off. Yes, I typically go through a coolant pump once a year but that is no different than any other manufacturer. I have had five axis trunnion and now a UMC-750 5 axis. They get everything from Glass filled nylon to hydro spun stainless and work fine a long as Im not abusing them. you bought one used machine and say it has never had a problem but subsequently bought three more. Did you buy each of them at the same time or space them out? You didn't say what you are doing with them but if you are getting that much downtime I would lean more towards operator abuse than a faulty machine. One machine build by a guy having a bad day I can see. But all three? I know most of the HFO's in the California area and the vice president of Haas visits our factory in China about twice a year and I can guarantee that if you had a repeating problem with a machine that was Haas's fault they would be all over it. They absolutely hate bad publicity whether it be a small shop or a huge shop.

Since the late 90s I have probably bought 30 Haas machine's. And out of all of those I think I may have had problems with three. One was a pallet changer on a VF2-SS cutting the cable on the 4th axis (admitted it was a bad design from Haas/Midico). Another was a spindle on an EC-1600 because I was abusing it in welded Stellite, and the most recent was some parameters on an ST20-Y throwingY axis off. Yes, I typically go through a coolant pump once a year but that is no different than any other manufacturer. I have had five axis trunnion and now a UMC-750 5 axis. They get everything from Glass filled nylon to hydro spun stainless and work fine a long as Im not abusing them. you bought one used machine and say it has never had a problem but subsequently bought three more. Did you buy each of them at the same time or space them out? You didn't say what you are doing with them but if you are getting that much downtime I would lean more towards operator abuse than a faulty machine. One machine build by a guy having a bad day I can see. But all three? I know most of the HFO's in the California area and the vice president of Haas visits our factory in China about twice a year and I can guarantee that if you had a repeating problem with a machine that was Haas's fault they would be all over it. They absolutely hate bad publicity whether it be a small shop or a huge shop.

Aren't you building prototypes/low volume?

Have you seen the Brother M140X1? I'f you don't need simultaneous 5 axis and your parts are small, it is a very fast native 4+1 machine that also turns and is unlikely to give you any guff about running 24/7.

Have you seen the Brother M140X1? I'f you don't need simultaneous 5 axis and your parts are small, it is a very fast native 4+1 machine that also turns and is unlikely to give you any guff about running 24/7.

That is what I was going to suggest but wasn't sure if his parts would fit. I've been eyeing one myself but I need more tools for the parts I build.

Get used to paying maintenance for 24 hour operation. There isnt a machine on earth that will last forever in that kind of production. I am willing to be your pulling at least 90 percent spindle load 90 percent of the time and well over 100 percent the other ten. You can spend more up front to avoid the inevitable for a little longer but youll spend heavily fixing a super star machine. There is a great book on failure analysis of machinery. I would have to think that smart oiling and cooling could make those haas machines last alot lo ger.

Depending on where he needs his torque the brother may not even be in the ball park

Get used to paying maintenance for 24 hour operation. There isnt a machine on earth that will last forever in that kind of production. I am willing to be your pulling at least 90 percent spindle load 90 percent of the time and well over 100 percent the other ten. You can spend more up front to avoid the inevitable for a little longer but youll spend heavily fixing a super star machine. There is a great book on failure analysis of machinery. I would have to think that smart oiling and cooling could make those haas machines last alot lo ger.

There are machines built to run production for 24/7 for 5-7 years at full blast but one machine costs the same as 6 haas with 5 axis trunions.

2 higher end machines + 1 erowa robot would outproduce all 4 haas and you wouldn't have to have someone there 24/7 swapping parts.

Back