What's new
What's new

Thoughts on Leadwell MCV-550E VMC

nicholasnbailey

Aluminum
There is a Leadwell MCV-500E vmc for sale locally. It has the Mitsubishi Meldas M0 control. The asking price is $6500. This seems like a decent price for the condition that it is in. Are there any major issues with this machine or controller that I should consider before purchasing? This is just for a small machine shop, it will be our first CNC machine so it doesn't need to be super accurate or up to date, it just needs to work.

My First real cnc machine had a Meldas M0 control. (Mighty Comet VMC) I spent more time and money fixing it, then it was worth. Get something with a newer control that you can get support on. If you do plan on buying this, I pulled the control, motors, and drives off the machine before it went to the scrap yard. They are all for sale if/when you need them.

The Leadwell was one the real eary CNC mill imported from Taiwan.
I trained a number of shops on them and it had no more or less problemms than other machines.
Programming the Mitubishi is almost exactly like the early Fanuc control, all examples on my website should fit. doccnc.com, write if you need help.
Do this for sure: Let them show you how to start it up and run a simple program
Heinz.

Heinz did the training for my family's machinery sales business when we sold Leadwells. I still get service inquiries on these old machines from time to time. The iron is good, but that control is a pain. The usual problem is the batteries dying and the control loses it's parameters. I've been thru a couple in the last ten years. As for purchasing it, I'd steer clear. Having not seen the machine I still can't help but feel for $6500 (plus moving and wiring, tooling if needed) it's not a good enough price. Cut the price in half and I'd maybe entertain the thought. Sometimes the money saved on buying older machines with outdated controls can cost you much more in repairs and frustration.

Back