What's new
What's new

Collet Holder for Tiny Spaces?

Ox

Diamond
Looking at trying to hold a 1mm shank, and fit down inside an 8mm hole a little ways.

------------------------

??????????????
Ox

For 5/8 collet extensions we are using both 81197253 from MSC a stubby #11 ER holder and the 1C holder from Hardinge. For the last bit of 8mm or less, I am with Barbter on the locktiting the tool in a shop made extension. We use ground 416 stainless when we do this. It drills and reams a bit more accurately

Last edited:
I am wondering about a collet holder with the "extended nose" style cap/nut?

Like this:

http://www.kennametal.com/e-catalog/ProductDetail.jhtml?XMLArg=29926.xml&MMNumber=1015309&fromloc=srch&parentId=1015309&sid=null

I don't (wouldn't) need to git too far down in the hole, but the stocked drills just aint long enough to get a bite on otherwise. Extra length shanks is an option, but if there were some small collet holder - all the better.

Will save the Loctite idea for low lead time apps.
I have made similar shanks with set screws for 3/32 drills before.

I think we have an ER11 running in one machine. It is small, but not that small I don't think.
I think it is around 1/2"...

The 1C appears to be bigger yet.

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

I have those in DA180. For the light stuff, works a treat.
Careful though, you'll have to make sure of the runout and possibly correct it when using DA collets. I'm just sayin'...

That was just an example of the extended nose concept.

The smallest DA that I know of is the one in the link (300) and it has 1/4" capacity.
Way too big for this app.

I would need one half that size yet.
I don't usually require the smallest of toys, so I was hoping someone else here may know the tiny toys better. ???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,
Use drill rod (silver steel called here) which is ground round great size and straight.
Drill in the end and loctite 603 the cutter in.
It'll work like a charm, and if you break the cutter and have to swap it out, use a little heat and the loctite will 'break' and the cutte rwill pull out with pliers.

I've got a 3/16" lolipop cutter I've made like that. Only ordered 1 for a job, and broke it just below the reduced shank. Edgecam tried to retract it through the material. Fixed up the program, loctited what was left into a chunk of drill rod, and not only finished the job, but used that cutter many times over since, without breaking it. If I would have ordered 2 cutters I never would have discovered that this works.

Also to make the hole in the drill rod a nice slip fit for the cutter remnants, I used a twist drill turned around, and the shank end ground into a d bit reamer. Worked great and I've used that trick many times over as well. All because of one pain in the ass job.

Sorry Ox, can't help you with an off the shelf solution.

That has 1/4" capacity too.
Shirley way too big to fit in there.

I didn't know Harvey had collet holders. Hmph!
(Guess I need to look through the catt better?)

---------------------------------

Thanks anyhow....
Ox

Hi Ox..

I had some trouble with run out on Erickson Collets. I'm talking about Double Angle Collets.
I'd check them carefully. You'll need all the concentricity you can get.

Regards,

Stan-

In sandvik's swiss holder/ tools book is a type of stub flut endmill with a 6mm shank, I know they go down to 2mm in a 4 flute, not sure how small they go. either that or try someplace like genswiss.

Dave K has the right idea, I was going to suggest a Dremel collet. Another option is a pin vise, I have some of those that are pretty small, wouldn't be the first time they have had a drill bit in them and used as an extension to get down inside something.

That has 1/4" capacity too.
Shirley way too big to fit in there.

I didn't know Harvey had collet holders. Hmph!
(Guess I need to look through the catt better?)

---------------------------------

Thanks anyhow....
Ox

We have ER11's and the Harvey holder. The ER11's are obviously way too big for you, and the Harvey holder is 1/2" all the way down the shank. So thats too big too.

What are you cutting and how deep do you have to go? Harvey has a lot of tools that work way better than you would expect. That is assuming you can ditch your 1mm shank and use a different tool altogether.

As I posted above, this is NOT for an endmill, It is for a 1mm shank on a .48mm drill.

The drill is not long enough as a standard to get far enough outside of the counterbored hole to chuck onto.
It is not offered in a real long model as a rule, however if required for production we could get some made with longer shanks, but I would really like to avoid that issue.

Just quoting at this point anyhow.
Just wanted to know if anyone knew of a smaller chuck than I was aware of.
So far I don't see anything even remotely close to going down in that hole.

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

By George, that might doo it!

Thanks.

edit:

Well, maybe not.
I was thinking that I neded to grab onto a 2mm shank, and a 5/64'ths should work for that, but it looks like I need one for a 1mm shank, and 1/16 is way too big.

Either way - that gives me a new avenue to check into.

BTW - I see someone posted a few days ago and I missed it, with a similar idea.
I have not checked out their sie yet.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back