What's new
What's new

How to Measure 1/4-18 NPS OD Thread?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I took this job on---a fitting that has 1/4 NPT threads, a groove and then the threads go to 1/4 straight pipe threads. Now I am writing a program and thinking how I am going to check these threads. How do you check straight pipe threads? thread wires? I don't have a fitting to check them and neither does my threadwire software have any MOW for straight pipe threads. Thanks

The data you need is in Machinery's Handbook. Thread wires are the only way I have ever done it. I would not trust using a fitting, the fitting the customer has might be a different size so you need to make yours to the specs.

The data you need is in Machinery's Handbook. Thread wires are the only way I have ever done it. I would not trust using a fitting, the fitting the customer has might be a different size so you need to make yours to the specs.

Okay, will there be an actual MOW chart for straight pipe threads or will I need to do the math?

Look under "gas pipe threads." I don't think it is in the threads section of MachHB, but somewhere else. The threaded tubes used for lamps are such a thread, a hold over from the days of gas lighting.
Regards, Ray
PS:Look under Gas Fixture Dies - on page 1466 17th edition.

Correct me if I'm wrong but NPS threads are still 60 degrees? I would just use the .032 wire size. I don't really see an issue here. Of course I may be missing something? Diameter of a 1/4 NPS is about .527 so add .0118 to get your MOW with the .032 wires.

Back