What's new
What's new

Thread rolling on lathe with a lever, do you need a second turret to trip lever

Aluminum2

Plastic
I am working with a twin turret machine that can do thread rolling. Right now people are programming one turret to trip the lever on the thread roller which is on the other turret. It seems dangerous to me because we do not have a simulated model of the machine. Is there a better way to trip the lever on a thread roller, preferably without the need for the second turret? The thread roller looks like the one on the attached picture.

original-1387186126732.jpg

I'm a bit lost, tripping at the end of the thread or resetting once realeased.

More info like thread roller head details, bar dia and stickout part even, machine etc etc etc would help.

Many ways to skin this cat.

We use second turret's all the time for other ops. , such as catching parted off parts. deburring with scotch brite , and any thing else we can think of , I certainly would not be bothered to trip a lever with the second turret, You do have a door to protect the operator I presume ?

Aluminum2, the old-school way of resetting these, pre-CNC, was to mount a ramp (linear cam) which engages the cocking level at some point in the turret travel. Depending on the machine, this might be on retract from the threading tool, on index immediately prior to the threading tool, or anywhere else convenient that doesn't interfere with the other tools on the turret.

Just to belabor the point, this was not a commanded operation. The ramp was hard-mounted to the frame of the machine (on occasion to the body of the turret slide, not the turret itself) and the threading head simply moved into contact with the ramp. You have a CNC. You don't have to do it the hard way.

I have a multi-spindle with the "barrel cam" method employed.
Never seen it used on a single spindle CNC tho.

I have mounted a pc of flat UHMW inside the machine somewhere and index the turret at a certain point to catch it.
Makes a bit of noise, but always werked.

Personally I like the Turret II idea.
You say that you kant simulate it.
Doo you have the machine at your facility?
Can you press buttons on a keypad that is not QWERTY?

:confused:

This whole mentality of not being able to doo something w/o a bloody PC :crazy:'s me.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

To elaborate, it is a 5 year old nakamura tome multifunctional machine. The thread roller springs out at the end of the cut and the lever has to be moved to reset. I was hoping there was an easier way or some device that could be purchased to make it easier. I was thinking about hard mounting something to the machine, but with the twin turrets, spindle and part grabber there is hardly any free space in the machine.

I got no problem with going out to the machine and adding moves to a program. The problem is if the program ever gets reposted there could be incorrect points that someone may not know about or forget to change. They should 100% ready to go once they are posted with the exception of feeds and speeds. Just my opinion.

As the jobs and machine get more complex - so doo the set-ups.

You want bullet proof code with very little special set-ups - stick with a 3x mill.

For special notes about adding special equipment to the set-up, code it right at the beginning of the program - before all the header info. Also add the same right after that tools call-out N.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have an identical thread roller.
Took off the round knob, and added a 5" piece of transmission fluid hose ( fairly stiff rubber hose)

When the turret indexes, that hose hits the sheet metal ( function of X axis retract) and resets the tripped rolling head.
You need the thread roller head oriented so the reset lever is pointing in the correct direction.

I don't how it could work better than that.

Just for added effect, I have a short piece of steel inside the end of the hose. 5/16" D X 1/2" long.
This stiffens up the end, where is hits, bends, and drags across the sheet metal.

I have a neighbor that uses hydro hose in a similar fashion.
For a sprayer application)
It is stiff and does not like to twist.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
(on occasion to the body of the turret slide, not the turret itself)

Sami For your own sanity don't read any further down this post!! You won't approve :-)

Has worked well for me too well with the heads i have that are small enough to allow the turret to do a full rotation, Hell the top opf the turret side is tapered and i oftern wonder when i do this, if thats why it is tapered, rather than square edged? i don't think Mr harrison ever considered some nutty kid in suffolk would hang a 1 1/4" herbert head on one of his 11" harrisons turrets :-) It barely clears the bed and is about the same dia as the 6" 3 jaw on the spindle :-) But for the 1/2" and smaller heads it works great.

However you reset the head it takes a rotation on that leaver, Only way thats ever going to be setup right is by tweaking, to get enough rotation for the reset never with just G code alone. IMHO you need to look at pneumatic resting heads if you want to go that route, levers need rotation and that needs operator set-up, not just blind ignorant G code.

That said, if you know how long the handle is, i still don't realy get why you can't simulate it if your simulator has accurate - realistic blocks for the turrets concerned?

There is a more bullet proof option for you - if money is no object.

I am 95% sure that Fette is offering heads that can close via coolant pressure.
Now - how you have flood coolant while rolling and not hinder it from opening - I am not sure.
Maybe it is a deal where you could hit the HP coolant pump to reset it while still leaving an opening for through-flood.

???

Edit - maybe you could position T2 in such a place with the coolant on - spraying at the part - while T1 does the roling. Then - when done - turn on M8 on T1 to reset.

???

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The coolant activated one seems interesting. the machine has high and low pressure coolant. I Will have to ask about it.

Back