What's new
What's new

Thread tapping

johndib

Plastic
I'm tapping 14mmx1.25 holes in aluminum. Using an er32 tap holder and a 7/16" collet but the tap slips in the collet. Obviously have it tight. Is there a better/different tap holder? Or a different way to lock the tap in the collet? Or? Tapping at 150 rpm and a feed rate of 3.9. Haven't tried different speeds or feeds but not sure that would make a difference.

I'm tapping 14mmx1.25 holes in aluminum. Using an er32 tap holder and a 7/16" collet but the tap slips in the collet. Obviously have it tight. Is there a better/different tap holder? Or a different way to lock the tap in the collet? Or? Tapping at 150 rpm and a feed rate of 3.9. Haven't tried different speeds or feeds but not sure that would make a difference.

3.9 what? inches per minute? If so that's completely wrong. Correct feed @ 150rpm is 7.382 ipm. Are you rigid tapping or using a tension-compression holder?

If you were rigid tapping with that tap and that feed and speed in aluminium I'd entirely expect you to just drill a 14mm hole, rather than have the tap slip in the collet, although the tap could pull out of the collet if it's not actually tight.

However, if you're using a tension-compression holder then it will likely tap in so far, until the tapping chuck hits max. tension and then the tap will start pulling out of the collet.

Fix your federate first or you'll be buying a new tap right after the holder.

1.25/25.4 X RPM= feedrate for a metric tap

Got it. Thanks but I think whoever said I had the Feed rate wrong was... right. Fixed that and it seemed to tap correct without the tap slipping. Thank you all.

Back