What's new
What's new

Through spindle coolant leak

IAmAlex

Aluminum
As of this morning, I am getting coolant coming out of the spindle without using the TSC. Machine is a MIghty Viper 950.I noticed it when the program I am running did a few tool changes. Coolant blew out of the spindle between tools like it does after the TSC has been used. What I have noticed also is that if I turn the flood coolant on, sometimes I get a 1-2 second stream of coolant out of the spindle as well. I pulled the Z-axis cover, turned the spindle and the TSC on together, and there is a small leak spraying coolant out over the castings. Not much, but enough for concern. However I don't know where the leak is. There is nothing coming out of the rotary union (which is about 5 months old). Are there seals somewhere in the spindle that may be going bad?

Thanks!

The through coolant generally goes through the drawbar, not familiar with your machine but there are probably 2 seals where the tool makes contact and at the union. Most of the unions have a drain make sure it is not blocked off. Is your through spindle coolant high pressure or does it share a pump? if so you might have a bad solenoid etc.

i have seen coolant cleaner after used it causes all the rubber and plastic parts to distort and start leaking. often have to change rubber seals and orings.
i have seen it get into probes and cause sticking there too.

Back