What's new
What's new

Tombstone

monsterjesse

Plastic
Newbie question, if I had a part needing a drilled hole at 30* would a work piece fixture held at 30* be best or positioning the spindle at 30 degrees be best. 8 parts on the Tombstone at 2000 per week. Thnx

If the parts are set up at 30 then you may have the option to use a shorter tool holder which may have benefits for machining. Other than that, agree with MsX above, should work either way.

360 degrees

would using two angle vice on one side of a tombstone, repeated on all sides be recommended?

I am no expert, but I will assume that if you mention a tombstone we are talking about a horizontal or a vertical with a 4th. As I see it in that configuration, 0 to 90 to 180 to 270 (angle vise) is the same as 30 to 120 to 210 to 300 (flat parts) in the sense that each index is 90 degrees. You might lose a tiny bit of time going to 30 and coming back from 300 but if you’re clever you can minimize that time. On the other hand, not buying 8 angle vises per pallet could be significant and avoiding the vise form factor generally allows more parts per face of the tombstone. All of this is predicated on the scant information you have provided so YMMV.

I am no expert, but I will assume that if you mention a tombstone we are talking about a horizontal or a vertical with a 4th. As I see it in that configuration, 0 to 90 to 180 to 270 (angle vise) is the same as 30 to 120 to 210 to 300 (flat parts) in the sense that each index is 90 degrees. You might lose a tiny bit of time going to 30 and coming back from 300 but if you’re clever you can minimize that time. On the other hand, not buying 8 angle vises per pallet could be significant and avoiding the vise form factor generally allows more parts per face of the tombstone. All of this is predicated on the scant information you have provided so YMMV.

"yes that's a good point thank you"

Newbie question, if I had a part needing a drilled hole at 30* would a work piece fixture held at 30* be best or positioning the spindle at 30 degrees be best. 8 parts on the Tombstone at 2000 per week. Thnx

Are you machining just that side hole or is there more work involved?

Back