What's new
What's new

Too big a bite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJSmith

Plastic
I'm considering taking the next step and buying a larger machine. The VF Drive salesman tells me "no problem". I have single phase 220 and currently use a pair of VFD's for the 2 HP BP and 5 HP Lathe. The 5 HP Graziano lathe uses the only VF drive rated for 5 HP - the SF250Y. The drives and the equipment work fine.

So, I'm considering the purchase of an Excel Pony 510 VMC - rated 7.5 HP at spindle. The VFD sales guy tells me to buy a 15HP VFD derated to 7.5 HP and everything will be fine.

Can I get some straight advice here?

Regards,

My advice: Repost this thread with a more descriptive title, like "Need advice on VMC and VFD purchase", because with a non-descriptive title like this, I can pretty much guarantee this one will be locked. Also, there is a VFD specific forum here on PM, with some really knowledgeable people. You might try posting there for quicker/better advice.

If I knew anything about VFDs I'd give ya the help I could, but as is, this is the only help I can offer. Good luck to ya.

Straight advice....? Start a new thread with a more descriptive title. This one is likely to get locked because the title does nothing to convey what the thread of about. Besides, guys that know vfds are much more likely to open a thread that looks like something they can offer a bit of help on.

I can't really help you on vfd info. Good luck. :)

Edit: Dang teachmeplease! Why you gotta type faster than me? I come back to look in on this thread and realize I look like a fool that won't read. ;)

Aside from the title issue....

A VFD to run a VMC with multiple motors? No. A rotary converter or better yet, a Phase Perfect.

Precisely.
Despite the fact that a phase perfect is a special case of VFD tech, not any old VFD will do. A VFD is programmed to run a motor, not some random load through a filter.
I still don't understand why manufacturers have not latched onto this,
in theory manufacturers could probably add a program to their VFDs that would in combination with a filter turn them into phase perfects, but somehow no mfg is doing this. Greed ? Probably. The fact that most other industrialised countries have 3 phase everywhere and dont need that phase perfect nonsense.....more likely.

IMO your sales guy doesn't understand what you are really looking for.

You may be able to run that machine on single phase. I have my home shop Mori running that way. It's a little smaller capacity than what you are looking at as the spindle is only a 5hp rating. Easy to do and the only cost was a .5hp inverter to run the coolant pump. Got that on ebay for less than $100. Far nicer than listening to the whine of an RPC all the time or paying the $3k cost of a phase perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back