What's new
What's new

Tool Change Crash

Hertz

Stainless
Hi guys, we had a toolchange crash this week. Part was too high, toolchange hit the part. Machine is Hyundai VX400 Fanuc 0i-MD control
I have a sequence here to go into maintenance mode to be able to cycle through the toolchange however MDI will not accept any commands. I assume I have to be able to get my Z referenced at home. I do have a way to get into maintenance mode by holding the manual "select" key but nothing else will work when trying to cycle the toolchange. I did notice however on the position screen, there is a highlighted I beside the Z. See picture. Any idea what that means? I did try to call service but all the guy tells me is maintenance mode "should" work. He has no other idea why. Not like I have much faith in them anyway but I figured I'd try.

Attachments

• 20151025_121733.jpg
    20151025_121733.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 672
  • 20151025_121751.jpg
    20151025_121751.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,055
I have seen the "I" next to an axis position when I accidentally gave a mirror image command in MDI. Also on all axis when the machine is not in the ready state. Since it is just on Z axis I think it might be mirror image has been called up. Daryl

Sometimes the recovery process will not work if the machine has been powered down and back up. If you can't get the maintenance recovery to work there might be a hex on top of the swing arm motor. There should also be a brake release if this is similar to some that I have worked on. Turn the motor with a hex wrench or ratchet until the arm is back at home position. Do you have a window where you can see prox switch lights for the cam?

I think too its cause of the brake being engaged. I will take a closer look in the morning but I do believe from the cover I removed on the front that the proximity switch lights are there. I read somewhere else someone mentioned a hex on the top of the motor, but I couldn't see one.

If it is like all the others I have worked on there are 3 prox switches/lights. The arm and cam box will be at home when the middle light turns on.

The I next to the Z means the axis movement is inhibited, most likely due to the ATC arm not being in the home position.

Did you have to set the maintenance mode with keep relays?

If you can see the motor on the top of the ACT that rotates the arm, check for a lever to release the brake and a nut on the top that will let you rotate the motor to move the arm home manually. If you have these Estop the machine and move the arm home manually while holding the brake off. If you do not see the brake lever then you will have to home the arm using the maint. routine once you figure out why it isn't working.

Last edited:
The I next to the Z means the axis movement is inhibited, most likely due to the ATC arm not being in the home position.

Did you have to set the maintenance mode with keep relays?

If you can see the motor on the top of the ACT that rotates the arm, check for a lever to release the brake and a nut on the top that will let you rotate the motor to move the arm home manually. If you have these Estop the machine and move the arm home manually while holding the brake off. If you do not see the brake lever then you will have to home the arm using the maint. routine once you figure out while it isn't working.

The maintenance mode is activated by MDI. I will take a closer look in the morning. Hopefully I can figure it out. Thanks guys.

The maintenance mode is activated by MDI. I will take a closer look in the morning. Hopefully I can figure it out. Thanks guys.

I haven't run into this model Hyundai, but most OEMs incorporate a keep relay or two to be set in conjunction with the MDI maint. mode. If you don't get anywhere with bringing the arm back mechanically, check with the tech support folks again to verify if you need to change a keep to activate the maint. mode.

Back