What's new
What's new

Tool modifications when in a time crunch

JP Machining

Stainless
Tell me I'm not the only one who has modified a digital calipers to reach in some place. The things a guy does on a Saturday when parts need to be done. At least I had a cheap one to grind down and not my brown and sharp... Fairly loose tolerance groove deep inside a bore. I had the adapters but the jaws of the caliper where hitting on a larger bore and I couldn't measure the groove I needed to.
e47432ffa27b27d8deb106bc9bb0a74a.jpg

Looks like you just slipped on fork extensions.

I can't tell what has actually been altered.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You "Do-what-cha-gotta-do" on the weekends, to make shit work.
LOL
I've ground on micrometers to get them to fit into a groove, but no calipers yet.:cheers:

Tell me I'm not the only one who has modified a digital calipers to reach in some place. The things a guy does on a Saturday when parts need to be done. At least I had a cheap one to grind down and not my brown and sharp... Fairly loose tolerance groove deep inside a bore. I had the adapters but the jaws of the caliper where hitting on a larger bore and I couldn't measure the groove I needed to.

As long as you can get a repeatable measurement from the cheap digital caliper, I don't see any problem with that at all.
Keep them in the drawer for the next wacky job and save the quality tools for your more precise work.

Some of the cheap calipers are more sensitive to temperature fluctuations and battery voltage than the good stuff.
If that does prove to be an issue, switch them out for a dial caliper... (batteries in those dials never die).

I don't understand what part "weekend" has to doo with this h'yah equazsion?

On a Wednesday - the jaws would have fit?

I have modded a few pr of calipers over the years. Why not? Is it better to pay 2x as much for a special tool made to fit in an area? ... which means that Starrett ground on them for you for a cpl hundred extra $?

[on the ones that I have modded] The day of the week didn't play any roles as far as I can recall.... ???

A stock tool is just a good place to start.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I still have my first pair of 8" Mitutoyo verniers I bought in 1975. Batteries are still good.

I have set of 36" Mitutoyo verniers. I've never had to replace the batteries on the calipers... but I've worn out a couple of calculators trying to add up the little lines...

I brazed tooling balls onto an OD mic to use it as an ID mic so it would reach around a 8" dia line boring shaft.

Was an unpleasant conversation on Monday.

Part worked though

One would have hoped that deserved a Atta-Boy as a good hack, ....not a kick in the butt.
Bob

The atta-boys are forgotten about when payday comes and the amount of overtime required to get the job out the door are revealed, and when the time comes to replace a tool modified for a rush job.

digital calipers are cheap. a rubber band and some aluminum parts and you got a 6" range digital indicator. used on lathe tailstock or lathe carriage or many places as it just clamps on. and it does not work any better using a more expensive caliper if anything a worn caliper or worn jaws you can still get use out of a old tool

Attachments

• Tailstock_DRO_SteelCaliper_KantTwistClamps.jpg
    Tailstock_DRO_SteelCaliper_KantTwistClamps.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 149
  • CarriageDRO_b.jpg
    CarriageDRO_b.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 153
Tell me I'm not the only one who has modified...
Do I have a depth mike with the rod ground down so it would measure the amount a hot tip is below the parting line at room temperature? Yes, yes I do.

I was told the company would buy me a replacement rod. Too bad the replacement was no longer available.

One would have hoped that deserved a Atta-Boy as a good hack, ....not a kick in the butt.
Bob

I appreciate that. My boss gave me a 3 day for it on that Monday.

It wasn't till about a year later when the job came back (but this time there were 3 of them) I got a "I am glad WE made this ID Mic."

Saved probably 15 or 20 hours of messing around removing and remounting the line bars on the lot of them, per piece. (Guesstimate)

I can laugh about it now though.

Nice save on the week end when there is no other way. If Indicals are still available they could have measured the same grooves.
The foreman at a shop I started at bought a set and they looked pretty cool, I bought this one 20 years ago and have not used it yet. But I am ready to measure a groove anytime.
Indical#1.jpg
Indical#2.jpg

Verniers....UGH

I used to re-work for the production crew (they were on piecework)

And I'd have do large castings on my 54" bullard....10 minutes of mounting
and lining up, just to take off .050 from a rabbet fit.

YUP, they dropped a line.

Were all within .002, just off by .050.

And I would have to run 6-10 parts, all the same.

The only thing worse is Pi tapes....the vernier problems, thumb pains, and
it slipping down the back of a large diameter on the Bullard.

Verniers....UGH

I used to re-work for the production crew (they were on piecework)

And I'd have do large castings on my 54" bullard....10 minutes of mounting
and lining up, just to take off .050 from a rabbet fit.

YUP, they dropped a line.

Were all within .002, just off by .050.

And I would have to run 6-10 parts, all the same.

The only thing worse is Pi tapes....the vernier problems, thumb pains, and
it slipping down the back of a large diameter on the Bullard.

thats why i like digital mics even mechanical digital mics. many a part is off .025 cause reading mic to wrong line. many mics the barrel needs a sidesways adjust not just rotating sleeve with numbers on it. some bore mics its just a single set screw and the barrel with numbers can be rotated or slid where needed.
also why i will still use a digital caliper as 2nd tool to varify i am in the ballpark (.003") and not .025 off

Back