What's new
What's new

Tool Presetter opinion

Hey guys. I have never sold tool presetters before. I have tried it myself for the past few weeks and I love it. Can I get some honest opinions. This is the first one I have used.
DSC01921.jpg
[
DSC01947.jpg
IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/frankmari/DSC01912.jpg[/IMG]

DSC01912.jpg

Sorry here is one more image. It can measure 13 inch in diameter. 13 inch gage length. resolution and accuracy is .0002. It rides on preloaded linear scales. What do you guys think is a good target price. I am think $3400 for this item is a really good price. I have seen a Dorian model for $2900 but it just looks like a modified height gage.

A 40 taper standard is included for calibrating the unit. It is ground to +-2 microns. 40mm dia X 200mm gage length. Any questions would be appreciated. What features are considered when purchasing one of these?

Looks good. Is there a way to disingage the feed screw to rapidly locate, so you don't have to sit there and wind the handle, when going from a 4" tool length to say 8"?

Gary M.

Can it dump data over a serial port ?

Measure a rack of tools then just download the offsets to the PC makes things more error resistant than a notebook and punching them in again.

No the screw cannot disengage. But the speed is decent. The pitch isn't super fine. No it cannot download to a pc. How many people actually download presetter ofsets? How is it done? Please check out my post--facy setup on haas--. I am using the prestter on this job and so far I never had to adjust a tool after puching in the offset. What a nice change from paper or your eye.

Would a tool presetter mounted on the machine bed not be a much better method or is this not an option with your current setup ? Renishaw do the TS27R which will measure the tool diameter also by running the cutting edge against a styli which is spring mounted. They do a laser version which is more accurate, but only by microns.

I'm interested in others veiws on this, the Renishaw tool presetter was a £1300 ($2500) option on my Cincinnati and I consider it to be an excellent tool and not over expensive.

Are there disadvantages with a bed mounted setter or any advantages with this type of tool pre-setter ?

TC

No it cannot download to a pc. How many people actually download presetter ofsets?
How many people ? At least me... It's silly not to. Finish a job and punch tool offsets. Pull the tools. Next time it runs, reload the program and offsets.

Do you type your CNC program at the machime too ?

Would a tool presetter mounted on the machine bed not be a much better method or is this not an option with your current setup ? Renishaw do the TS27R which will measure the tool diameter also by running the cutting edge against a styli which is spring mounted. They do a laser version which is more accurate, but only by microns.
I have TS27R installed on my HAAS machines.Option with OMP40 work offset probe was $5k extra with new machine purchase.No typos, operator mistakes.Learning curve for new guys is minimal.Main reason was costly mistakes of incorrect offset values.Paid for itself in a month .My guys cannot think of other way to set tool offsets. Niether can I.
Nice presetter thou , priced right.

You can set the tools on one machine and move to another- assuming same spindle type, etc. I believe the TS2x series are guaranteed accurate to 1u, but all of my renishaw probes have tested well better than that.

Having a tool preset probe in the machine opens up a whole new level though. Not only is it used for presetting tools, but can also be used to check tools for wear while machining.

Drill holes in the part with tool #8, then check the drill's length. If the drill is .003" too short, it's worn and have the control change the program to tool #9 (same tool, new, in another holder) and rerun the drill routine.
Or if the measurement of tool #8 is .100" too short, then stop for an operator before cramming a tap into those holes.

You can kick some serious ass with a presetter in the machine... VERY easy to make that investment back.

Minimize broken tools, catch worn tools - and you now can run tools until they get to your dimensional wear limit. No need to pull all the tools out after x number of parts, run them until they are some amount shorter or smaller in diameter.

but your presetter is still cute.

Ok so just one TS27R is $5k. But this is just for 1 machine right. What if you have several mills? It can get pretty expensive 5k per machine.
Tool offset set up of 10 tools takes 5 minutes.Error
free.
I'm not selling TS27R .It is just an alternative.The same tool presetter with Matsuura will cost you $10k's.For manufacturing eviroment with short runs ,plenty of different parts and unexpierienced operators ,IMO thats the way to go.
For machines without Macro options,professional cnc machinst,time not being of the essence, presetter is the way to go.
Cost issue is realtive,one "bang" can offset you few grand in a second.
Before I started my bussines, I was looking into buying one myself.Little bit too expensive .
Your's I would consider buying.

You guys that use the TS27Rs. What do you do with it when you have a large part that requires you to remove the probe? I like the idea of one for but what happens when you need the whole table and then some?

ARB,
Just take it off the table when it's in the way. When you put it back on, dial it in like any other fixture and set a work coord system around it.

I think tool diameter is a huge selling point. Or at least thats my opinion. With my unit you can measure tool runout by spining it and comparing values. You can check if a tool will run good even before you try it. Also great for getting a boring bar to size. What do you guys think?

Back