What's new
What's new

tool probe and Renishaw probe functions

Stuart Caruk

Stainless
We've got a new to us Kitamura HX400i horizontal that I'm trying to get a bit more functionality out of. It has both a tool setting probe and a Renishaw MP9 spindle mounted probe.

They must be aftermarket, because Kitamura didn't have them on their machines in 2002.

The tool setting probe obviously hasn't worked in years. It was jam packed full of chips so it couldn't extend into the work envelope. I got that part working, but the probe head itself seems to be busted off. I'm looking for an aftermarket head or replacement parts.

I also have an MP9 Renishaw probe that fits in the spindle. There is a small box in the upper corner of the machine that is displaying a red LED. I've changed the 9 volt battery in the probe, but I can't figure out how to get the probe to communicate with it's interface box. None of the listed M codes seem to turn it on, spinning it doesn't work.

The control has several macros that it appears are used for touching off tools, and probe functions, but I haven't got a clue as to how they work. Any ideas, suggestions or reading manuals that might be helpful would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

Stu, Renishaw is very good with tech support, and they've got some pretty sharp people available for help over the phone. I don't have any experience with the MP9 probe, so I can't be a ton of help, but I'm guessing due to the age, the receiver module is an OMM. When you ATC the probe into the spindle, do any of the lights on the OMM change colors? You should have a light that turns green. Then if you reach in and trigger the probe, the light should turn red. If that's happening, you're probably ready to probe.

What are the program numbers of the macros that are installed? Do you see things like 9810, 9811, and 9814?

The control has several macros that it appears are used for touching off tools, and probe functions, but I haven't got a clue as to how they work. Any ideas, suggestions or reading manuals that might be helpful would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Stu

For a basic understanding of probing routines, read chapter 11 of this book:
Amazon.com: CNC Programming using Fanuc Custom Macro B (9780071713320): S.K Sinha: Books
Once you understand the basic principles, you can easily make out what the renishaw routines do.

I finally got the probe to work... sort of. I swapped out the batteries and stuck it in the spindle. Fired it up to 500 RPM for a couple seconds and the green light inside the mill came on, so it's communicating with the probe.
In MDI mode I entered G91 G31 X5. F1.; and entered it while watching the position page. The spindle tries to move the 5" and as soon as I trigger the probe, motion stops and the position data updates, so I'm guessing skip check is working.

The problem seems to be now that the probe turns off again after about 3 minutes which is normal for an MP9 probe as it has a time out function. When I spin it to turn it on again, it won't turn back on. If I disassemble the probe and reinsert the battery, it goes on for the 3 minutes or so and won't tun on again. After about 30 minutes the battery is almost dead.

I'm guessing there must be a small short somewhere or the centrifugal switch is bad. Anybody got a service manual for the probe or seen this before?

Renishaw is pretty helpful, but they tell me the probe is obsolete and they won't repair it, but they will sell me a new MP60....sigh...

Back