What's new
What's new

Tool X Mearsure

bdrmachine

Aluminum
After many years machining with a manual Lathe I finally purchased a used Romi C420 with a Siemens 802D control. So far (climbing the steep learning curve of a new control) I love it. I seem to understand how to set up tool and work offsets with one exception: How do you determine the X value for drills and taps in the turret? Obviously you want it set to the center of your part. Do you gist bump up to a known part and subtract the tool and part radius? Surely you pro's have a slick way of doing this without a probe.

Thanks
Brian

Dial in with an indicator and mag base just like you would if you were dialing in any other round object. And then teach it's location

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

Dial in with an indicator and mag base just like you would if you were dialing in any other round object. And then teach it's location

I'm not sure how that would work. Where do you put the mag base to be able to measure both the part and the tool?

Why do you need to measure the part? Stick a dial on the chuck bring in the turret and dial in that tool. Alternatively about the only thing a coaxial is good for is dialling in a turret pocket. One it reads zero teach it that position as X0.0

After many years machining with a manual Lathe I finally purchased a used Romi C420 with a Siemens 802D control. So far (climbing the steep learning curve of a new control) I love it. I seem to understand how to set up tool and work offsets with one exception: How do you determine the X value for drills and taps in the turret? Obviously you want it set to the center of your part. Do you gist bump up to a known part and subtract the tool and part radius? Surely you pro's have a slick way of doing this without a probe.

Thanks
Brian

I knew there was a simple way to do this that I was over=looking! THANKS

I'm not sure how that would work. Where do you put the mag base to be able to measure both the part and the tool?
Either on the face of the Chuck or on the out side of a collet holder depending on the type of collet holder you have. Where the base attaches doesn't have to be in the center of the spindle. The indicator will still rotate about the center. I will take a picture tomorrow and post. I did this just today. And will do it again tomorrow. Are romi has a tool post instead of the turret. So we have to dial in the height as well as the x offset.

Something like this. If you don't already have a workpiece in the machine you can just clamp in the collet or Chuck.
dae8a40c0bd6dc106cdc3cfa29e00246.jpg

Another simple, though less accurate method is to touch a known dia (say 20 mm) by the side of the tool of, say, 10 mm dia. This position is X30.

Back