What's new
What's new

Tools to achieve a mirror finish?

McBobberson

Plastic
We're currently processing parts made of S-2 tool steel and need to check them for micro hardness, which requires a very smooth, scratch-free surface after cutting them in half.

I didn't come up with anything on this websites search, and I'm not even sure what I should google, but I was curious as to if there was a tool out there made for CNCs that would give a part an exceptional finish?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Look into "Mirroworx" tooling by Pokolm, they claim it will produce a mirror finish.

I've never used it myself, just seen it at a trade show, personally I'd want to see it working on my machinery before I dropped the dollars on it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Do you have a machine with the stiffness and runout to achieve the finish you are looking for? If it is a few pieces try an assortment of abrasive papers and elbow grease. Figure eights work well.

Years ago I was in a shop where they were using some kind of hardwood disc w/ diamond paste on a surface grinder. The surface grinder had power feed so it just kept going back and forth over the surface and every once in a while someone would check on it.

I imagine they surface ground the face first, then polished it.
The finished parts were like mirrors. Maybe you could adapt this idea to whatever machines you have..

I think machining or even grinding would affect the microhardness you are wanting to measure. Lapping, whether manually or on a machine, should not affect the hardness.

From a tooling standpoint I know this product has produced mirror or close finishes --> Dijet Mirror Ball

Be ready for small(I mean tiny) stepovers at high RPM if interested. At worst it will get you pretty close to where you want to be then you can finish with abrasive or lapping options.

We're currently processing parts made of S-2 tool steel and need to check them for micro hardness, which requires a very smooth, scratch-free surface after cutting them in half.

I didn't come up with anything on this websites search, and I'm not even sure what I should google, but I was curious as to if there was a tool out there made for CNCs that would give a part an exceptional finish?

Thanks in advance for the help.
cut with abrasive saw then grind on a surface grinder. not mirror finish but surface grinder is fairly smooth
when they polish molds they still use abrasive stones often held by hand

I think machining or even grinding would affect the microhardness you are wanting to measure. Lapping, whether manually or on a machine, should not affect the hardness.

Have to agree big here.
One has to define mirror of course. We do it in even in cast iron but you are sort of filling the voids
Do not mistake "mirror" to your eyeball for good material to check.
Worse in steels. I can give you a finish where you can read the printing on the florescent tubes overhead but would be bad for a microhard test.
Bob

Back