What's new
What's new

Titans Of CNC/ Beginner / HaasVF4SS

illmatic

Plastic
Are they the real deal? Or just putting videos up for show, I ask because I'm learning and some videos are pretty cool.

I've been getting 1 on 1 training it's been fun but what are the most important things to learn..

We have a few Fadals which are cake to run & just recently learned to use center indicator which was a bitch to learn because we had to do 8 holes and my back hurt like crazy because I couldn't center right away.. We also have a brand new VF4SS Haas arriving in a few weeks which is pretty awsome!

Well, I suspect you're going to get a zillion opinions here, but I would say the most important thing to learn about machines like this is safety. CNC machines (as well as machine shop equipment in general) have no respect for human flesh. I hope your trainer is emphasizing safety.

IMHO, as a shop owner, I strive to teach:
1) a really good understanding of G-code
2) the basic formulas required for figuring RPM, Radial Chip Thinning, large cutter / hole ratio, etc.
3) programming & machining strategy
4) where to look for starting numbers for speeds/feeds/materials
5) how to be efficient in my shop :D (sometimes, I need to brush up on that too! lol)

Doug.

LOL

I guess I forgot the safety topic....:o

Titans makes some nice videos to impress those that don't know.
I'd skip using them as a tutorial.

If looking for learning videos in a clear concise manner...try Haas Automation Tutorial & Tips.
They touch on many of the very basic points in learning CNC.

Lots of others available too...but some I agree with...others not so much

The "academy" Fusion360 CAM tutorial components might be of use to you, depending on your experience with programming. Some of the lessons use the same base model to teach introductory operations, then add complexity to the model for more advanced things, which is a nice way to progress. I think some of the CAD/CAM lessons move a little too quickly but again it really depends on your skill and aptitude to learn, but regardless you can't go wrong with modeling as many parts as you can to get a good mindset on how the software works (remember the skills are very transferable to other CAM programs).

Back