What's new
What's new

Over use of Canned cycles or . . .

Solar71

Titanium
Hey all...

I just noticed something...

Lately i have been getting more and more comfortable with all types of canned cycles for the lathe...

I used to always do manual programming (not canned) as long as it was something simple...
Then i would use canned cycles only for the more complex goemetry... and things requiring many many passes...

But i noticed something... Lately i have been using canned cycles FOR EVERYTHING!!!

And you know what ?

Its easier... and better...

I used to face with manual coding... G0/G1
Now its G72 ALWAYS... Because its so easy to change the number of passes, the amount per pass, the feedrates ... Everything...

I used to drill with manual programing as well... G0/G1

But now i always use G74 No matter what...
If i need a peck i install an R1, no peck, remove the R1...

But its so easy to change depth and peck amount or frequency...

Same with cut off cycles... G75 always... no more G0/G1 crap...

Dont know exactly why i telling you guys this...

Just popped into my witta hed...

10-4 on that thought. If I didn't have G71 and G72, my parts would never get turned. Not only is it easier, but you save a ton of controller space. And if you want to add a chamfer, or corner radius, it's a simple "R.015" add, and your off and running again. I'll have to see what G75 is though. I still cutoff with G01.

Next thing you will start doing is using complex
tool width variables, macros and other formulas.
Then no one will be able to understand your
programs except you, then you will have the
whole shop in the palm of your hand! Then ask
and get that big raise and require the boss
to put your name on the building. :D

Canned turning cycles are just the best. I do however, still program cutoff in G0-G1 mode and put in feeds and such as well as speed changes and even parts catcher M codes. I get more speed, better cutoffs, and less chips and stuff in my parts catcher.

I use MasterCam Lathe for the most part to only find finish turning points for my canned cycles, then use the offsets/tool type/radius settings in the control along with the G41/G42 radius offsets to figure it all out.

My fanuc lathe is quite small, so I also G0-G01 much of my drilling because I can cut back depths/pecks as the drill gets deeper. Longer programming time, but much shorter run time and better tool life.

To each their own here though, I use canned on thes ops as well when I can.

Yeah it just seems easier...
Hip hip , hooray for canned cycles... :D

To kodiak...
G75 is a canned cycle for grooving...
But if you use it without a Z word, or a K word, it will perform a cut off cycle with pecking...

When i want my parts catcher to stay clean...
I will G75 to about .125 is left for the part to fall...

Then i will M code the parts catcher, then i will do another G75 that rapids to the .125 and finishes the cut off... That way the parts catches has fewer chips in it...

I dont know what it is, but lately, ive grown allergic to G0 and G1 HAHAhaha

Anyway... Just had to share that...

Solar,
Your comming up with canned cycle numbers I didnt even know exist.

Think the only one I remember from the HS lathe was threading, and I dont remember the number.

To gary E...

On a lathe, its ussually G32, G76, or G92 (my favorite)

Some machines have all of them...

To smallshop...

hahaha... yeah, well at 230 pounds i would make a very strange looking kid... hahaha

Back