What's new
What's new

Tree 310 minor electrical problems, please help

Mechsoldier

Plastic
I have a tree 310, I bought it at auction supposedly broken. I disassembled everything, cleaned the boards, reassembled, and was able to get rid of the E-stop error.

Then I rebuild the coolant pump (or more appropriately cleaned the calcification out of it and reassembled).

Current problems are that the display is sometimes garbled when firing up the machine. If I let the machine stay powered up for an hour or two, the display will fix itself. I figured it was some capacitor problem or something, so I opened up the control box with the display and the controls on it, I measured voltage at the board where it says +15v for CRT and it was only 11v. I flipped the control off and then back on, it instantly went up to 15v and the display works. Sometimes I can fix it by flipping the switch after a warmup period, others it works fine, others I just have to wait.

Secondly, I had to edit the machine settings so that the feed rate override knob turns the rapid down because I kept getting servo errors. It appears that the oil pump isn't working properly, so I have to manually pull up on the plunger to oil the machine. That's fine and all, and I can now see oil on the spindle when it moves up and down, and also on the ways (how is that spelled?), but still get a servo error on any of the 3 axis as well as a axis overtravel. So let me explain, it rapids toward the home in X (which is how I test it since this is dangerous in Y and Z as it's at the end of its travel when going home and I don't want to mess up the ball screws), it gets to X 0.0, overshoots it, throws an alarm, and slowly coasts to stop at about X -1.0.

I haven't been able to figure that out, I've just been upping my feed rates in Bobcad so I can set the knob at 50% and be at the proper cutting feed rate while slowing my rapid down. Please help.

Any ideas about the lack of voltage based upon time to the CRT?

Pretty common symptom of a failing capacitor in a power supply.

Does the machine do a homing routine OK? Then error when you try to rapid home? i don't recall how Tree implemented the referencing of the axes. There should be a limit switch on each axis that is used to initiate the homing procedure. Per my Dynapath manual "the slide moves toward the limit switch until the the input goes high (contact closure). The slide continues to move until the axis pulse encoder sends a marker pulse via the J8-Transducer Connector" The axis then halts and the Position Display resets to zero.". Is this how your machine behaves?

Last edited:
Pretty common symptom of a failing capacitor in a power supply.

Does the machine do a homing routine OK? Then error when you try to rapid home? i don't recall how Tree implemented the referencing of the axes. There should be a limit switch on each axis that is used to initiate the homing procedure. Per my Dynapath manual "the slide moves toward the limit switch until the the input goes high (contact closure). The slide continues to move until the axis pulse encoder sends a marker pulse via the J8-Transducer Connector" The axis then halts and the Position Display resets to zero.". Is this how your machine behaves?

You reference by lining up the X axis with an arrow in the center of the table, and lining an arrow up with the y axis all the way negative (arrow at the front of the table left on the knee) and then move the quill till it's flush with the head. Then you enter 0 (Jog), R for reference zero and hold all three switches x +, y +, z +

Then from that point on, any time that I have the rapid turned over about 60 percent, it'll throw an axis limit fault.

This problem occurs even without homing, it doesn't matter if it's near the limit switches or whatever. And a couple times it has gotten out of sync, so I've noticed that it hasn't been at the right position, as in, it says it's at y - 5 but really looks to be at y 3.0 or whatever. Then I have to rehome the machine. So it looks like I need to rent an oscilloscope.

Back