What's new
What's new

Meyer pin gages

Captdave

Titanium
Looking at ordering a couple of pin gages for a project I'm working on but considering ordering a complete set as well for future work. Never had much need for them in the past so I'm curious as to which set + or - would you order to keep on hand? Put another way, which do you generally use more often?

We always used minus sets, it takes a couple tenths clearance to get a pin into a hole, so if the pin fits snug, you are most likely at the stated size. Put another way, if it's a .500 pin from a plus set, it's .5001" maybe .5002", so the hole has to be .5003"-.5005" to get the pin into it.

Ditto. Sets of minus pins, and (rarely) specific individual plus pins for the occasions when I have an especially tight tolerance (for my shop, anyway)

I've got minus sets, but just the basic chinese sets which are plenty fine. One had the 201pin ground all messed up but still fit in a 201hole, threw it out anyway.
We had meyer sets at one place I worked and it had a miss labeled pin by .001. I think 408 and 409 were both 409 or something.
Very useful to have either way. Helps with a lot of set ups on the mill as well, or dialing odd stuff on the lathe.

I also over-use my meyer gage pin set. It was the first real piece of inspection equipment I purchased as a start up. I got the 4 drawer wood box set from someone selling off shop stuff. My goes from something like .015-.750. The large pins take up lots of space. The only thing I had to add to the conversation was my experience with the chinese sets. Often I am using my pin gage to determine if my bored hole tapers and goes all the way to a square shoulder. The meyer or higher quality pins have a very small edge break that is uniform. The chinese sets seem to have a very heavy and rough looking edge break. Looked to be done by hand on a sander or similar. This might cause you some trouble. It would for me. Sometimes I am checking the width on a shallow groove.
I can usually detect if my endmill tip is chipped slightly and that would cause a component to not sit in the bottom of the pocket.

Maybe it might help someone else decide what would be best for them.
-Greg

I like to sacrifice members of my sets..........

.....as needed for dedicated tooling where pins are used to locate holes on parts I make fixtures for. At around 2 bucks a pop to replace them, they are ready to rock and roll!

Back