What's new
What's new

Tube Mitering on CNC

LostFab

Aluminum
We have some welded structures to assemble with some compound miters. We've done okay doing this "by hand" but its a bit tedious and I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to cut these on one of our CNCs. The machine I want to use is a Haas VF3, it has a 4th axis card, but we do not have a rotary table, and I don't know that its worth buying one for this experiment.
I'm wondering if a cheapo manual indexer with a chuck would be enough for this, or if someone has a better idea??? A quick google-fu reveals 8" super spacers have a 2.5" bore so that should be enough to get the tube in, and cut both ends, from whatever sides needed.
Tube diameters vary from 1-2," lengths from 1-3,' and are either 4130 or 6061.
Thanks in advance!

When I said "by hand" I meant we have a drill press and tube-notcher. This does a good enough job for our parts, but it means someone is standing there for a few minutes lining up joins, gotta adjust this angle, sometimes this ends up backwards, etc...
I'd rather have someone load a tube, press start and go empty the trash in the 180 seconds saved having the mill do the work.
We do a lot of one off/prototypes right now, and also have the option/luxury of being able to charge a premium for doing work "in house." I've contacted shops about doing our bending and cutting before and as tempting as it is to outsource it hasn't proven practical yet.

Back