What's new
What's new

Fanuc 11TA E-Stop Release

Machinery_E

Titanium
Wired up one of the new Mori SL-1's, and am getting a "reset EMG" message. No other alarms and everything else looks normal, with no fault codes on the spindle drive, or the control. Of course the E-stop bottom is off. Also pushed rest on the control. Phases are connected correctly, and have hydraulic pressure. Safety interlocks are okay, if you try to open the electrical cabinet doors it kicks the main breaker off. Machine parameters look intact, its been without power for apprx. a month or so.

What has me at a loss is that there is an "Emergency release" bottom on the side of the machine operator's panel. It looks like it may be wired in with the E-stop bottom. Pushing it does not remove the reset emg message.

Before I pull my hair out any further, is it something simple I am missing here? :D

Thanks!!!

Cycle the door?

Air?

Axis O/T?

Is it looking for it's old chumm - a barfeeder that's not here anymore?

guessing that bottom = button eh?

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The door I tried moving, no good.

No air on this one that I see, the other one does have air for the parts catcher I believe.

Chucker machine, the other one is a bar machine.

Axis over travel, now that's interesting, what does one do in that case on an 11? On my OT I get an alarm message for O/T

No alarm messages on this puppy.

Sorry for the spelling, it's "emergency release button" <<<<Kind of what I'm thinking may hold the key to the mystery. :D

Either that or they did something to the wiring for the energy management I mentioned in the other thread. From what I can see, they just hooked wires up to existing wires on the contactors.

Try this...

I know that this sounds strange but I had the same thing happen on my Okuma once and had to put in a service call. It was the E- switch itself! take a meter and with the power off be sure that the switch is making and breaking contact.
These switches take a lot of thumping in their time and its easy for them to break internally. $575.00 to tell me to replace the E stop switch.
The bad news... I had 4 on the shelf.

Good idea on E-stop button, I checked it but it looks good, even tried connecting the wires to one another, still no good.

See attached pics, this has me baffled what that emergency release button may be for??? I've tried holding it in, pushing it and control on button, etc. etc. Its somehow wired into the E-stop button, two wires going to it are EMG2 and 300 and EMG1 and 300 are on the e-stop button. :confused::confused::confused:

Your button is likely for hard O/T - servo enable, so that you can fire the servos to jog off the O/T limit switch.

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Okay, powered up the other Mori and its doing the same exact thing! Been all over both of them looking for cut wires and so far nothing, and I'm really tearing into the wire raceways looking for cut wires...I see no evidence of modifications unless they unhooked some wires leaving no evidence.

Come on out of hiding Fanuc experts, don't be shy! :)

Had that problem on our Mori with a Fanuc 16. Anyway called our dealer and tech said we had a power supply down. Turned out to be the 24+ to the inputs, fuse blown, ps located in the computer module. Servo power was fine as well as another one that was on Mori's side. Put in a new fuse and all was cool, only happened once.

Hope you got prints with 'em.

WGE

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Tried Power on, reset, rest power on, both at the same time, didn't make any difference.

I can't run the servo's but I think that may because of the E-stop. There is a main contactor that engages when you press the control on button. This supplies power to the servo drives, and the green ready LED is glowing on both of them.

Checked all the fuses and they look good.

Unfortunately, basically no manuals. A bunch of equipment was sent out of the plant during the summer and they think the manuals got sent to one of the other plants then.

See attached picture for a sign that is on both of the machines. Interlock? Would that be the electrical cabinet door interlooks? Only ones I can find on the machine. Safety device? The way they have it worded is something that you use in operation not service. :confused:

Was this in an automated plant?...... or have ancillary equipment hooked up to it?

If so, most likely you have an E-stop circuit open on one of the contactors where it was tied into the automation (or a remote E-stop box). You should be able to look at your E-stop relays in the control cabinet and see which one isn't on (or pulled in) these should be safety relays, so will look different from the others. I'd start there..
If this is what is going on, you'll have to jump the coil on that relay hot in order for it to run.

Yep - when I saw the sign, that is definately NOT an OEM post.

Got to thinkin' that you said one had a barfeeder and they were "celled". Then this "interlock" thing....

All of a sudden "robot" hit me up side the head. There's what those wires that you found went to.

Then I see that Tony came to the same conclussion.

You just need to close a circuit that the automation had open to control from...

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Got to thinkin' that you said one had a barfeeder and they were "celled". Then this "interlock" thing....
The other thing if its been in a large plant, they may have had fences / guards around the whole cell. With an access gate. That could be the interlock thing. There would be a key on the gate. We call them Fortress keys.

That might tie in with that Energy Management thing mentioned earlier. Not sure how tight you lock up your cells. Here we wouldn't E.Stop a machine, probably just disable auto operation or flag a feed hold.

http://fortress.com.au/

Regards Phil.

Thanks a million guys! It sounds like it isn't something simple, so I'll try to dive more into the wiring...without a wiring diagram. :rolleyes5:

They had these two machines in a R&D lab. When we went to get them they were sitting right where they were, no robots, they had rubber mats down between them...there must be some other sort of interlock they had on them. The bad part is that I see no external evidence of where anything might have been. The energy management stuff I have pulled off, I don't see anywhere where it would have went into relays...

Thanks again!

The energy management stuff I have pulled off, I don't see anywhere where it would have went into relays...
I went back to your other thread to see what that energy management stuff was about.

http://www.mod-tronic.com/mod_pdf/veris/h708_908_d.pdf

Seems its like a clamp amp meter. At a guess you could use that on some thing that jams, like a conveyor. You pass one of the 3 phage legs through it and it will switch on over current.

Where were the two output wires coming from that going too? If they wanted to kill the machine they may have run that switch through the E.Stop circuit, in which case you would have to bridge between where those wires were. Having said that, the Hawkeye H708 that you pulled off is N.Open. It should be N.Closed for an E.Stop circuit.

I’ve just got a feeling that’s an after market mod, and it has something to do with your problem.

Regards Phil.

I used to get alarms like that on any CNC screw machine that had a bar feeder interface when nothing was connected to it. A simple jumper between two pin sockets was all it took to cancel the alarm.

Sorry to leave you hanging guys, its been crazy and only been able to work on this project on and off.

See pics, I think I may have narrowed it down, the connection manual is saying the E-Stop is supposed to be connected to EMGIN1 and EMGIN2 on the input unit. The "outs" are not be used according too the manual. As you can see I have nothing there. But the mystery now is where to go after the terminal block on the input unit...manual doesn't really say. It says connecting them to the servo drives, but I already have wires on the terminals. I'm kind of thinking the "EMGIN" are supposed to go somewhere on the input unit like the other wires on the terminal block do.

Does Fanuc have manuals for the individual components themselves? (This is a A14B-0076-B102 Input unit) Thinking if they do that may shed some more light on this. Of course if anyone is familiar with the input unit, please let me know!

Thanks!!!!

Wired up one of the new Mori SL-1's, ...................... Machine parameters look intact, its been without power for apprx. a month or so.

SL-1A or -B?

Power off for awhile is irrelevant on this one, since it has bubble memory, not RAM (no batts).

What has me at a loss is that there is an "Emergency release" bottom on the side of the machine operator's panel. It looks like it may be wired in with the E-stop bottom. Pushing it does not remove the reset emg message.

Is there a square gray (green?) pushbutton on the op. panel labeled CON? If so, what happens when it is pressed?

The "E-stop release" jumpers around the hard overtravel limit switches, which are in the E-stop chain. Was the machine properly blocked during shipping, or has an axis vibrated to the end of stroke, pushing an OT switch? To use the E-stop release, press and hold it, press the red RESET on the keypad, press the square CON or press the power-on PB switch by the CRT. If the machine comes on, switch to handwheel or jog to move the axis away from the limit, while continuing to hold the release switch.

I have a wiring diagram for the SL series equipped with the 10TA. As far as I remember, the wiring was the same. I've scanned the 2 pages that are related to E-stop. Check your PM.

EDIT: I can't find a way to attach a file to a PM or an e-mail. So, send me a PM with your e-mail addy, and I'll send it that way.

Is there a square gray (green?) pushbutton on the op. panel labeled CON? If so, what happens when it is pressed?

The problem is solved! Now if you'll excuse me....

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back