What's new
What's new

Turning 6063 ADVICE.

p4th4ss

Aluminum
Please tell me what is the best way to turn this aluminum and get a great finish right off the machine. No polishing. What tools do we need to use? Radius, degree, inserts, etc. How fast and how much? sfm, rpm, fr, doc ?. Machine only turns 3400rpm. We want to run it fast and hard, break a chip, and get a mirror finish. We're switching from 6061 which is easy. I'm having more trouble with this stuff than stainless ever thought of giving me. Any advice would be apreciated. Some experience with this stuff would be great. Have a mazak quick turn 20 h-p, and a haas st25y.

Last edited:
Going to need more info.
Lots of manufacturers make Aluminum specific inserts.. use their recommended speeds and feeds.
What size part? This will be important because you're limited to 3,400 rpm.
Aluminum loves high SFPM.

Biggest stock we have is 3.0 . I'd say the smallest parts we turn are about 1 inch od. And yes they do have aluminum specific inserts but they do not have grade specific aluminum inserts. And 6063 is bubble gum soft compared to 6061. It's hard to break a chip and get a good finish right off the machine. Just seeing if anybody had any insight. What they've used and done.

6063 is an architectural alloy used primarily for extrusions. Its not made with machinability as a consideration. A good finish by machined aluminum standards would be a real accomplishment, but a great, no polishing necessary, finish would be a miracle.

Ok. Then we're using the wrong material. What about 6061. What would be ideal for it?

You want a non coated/high polished insert.
All of the major manufacturers make them.
Mitsubishi,Iscar, Sandvik, etc..
Usually around 1500-2000 sfpm for finishing.
Depending on your corner radius, we typically use a 1/64 corner rad for finishing, and go .004" ipr with about .01 d.o.c. per side.
Of course this varies depending on the job.

Well.....as far as my manual lathe goes....I have a defense for it......
Since we use tons of PCD in my department and _no_ carbide, it is _much_ easier to find a PCD tool for aluminum on the manual lathe than a carbide.

Definitely disagree that you can't get good, very bright finishes off the machine with 6063 @ T5 or T6. Not sure I'd go claiming mirror but PCD or better yet MCD are the way to go. With only 1.0" dia and 3400 RPM it is going to be tough though.

Back