What's new
What's new

Turning Hast-X

SLW

Plastic
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm also new to machining as well, I've only been at it for a little over a year. Anyhow, I've got a question regarding speeds and feeds for rough turning Hast-X, as well as depth of cut. The shop I work at machines this material quite a bit, and it always wreaks havoc on inserts. But I have been doing some experimenting and I think have come up with a decent formula that breaks chips but won't wear down too much. Let me know what you guys think:

.100 depth-of-cut, 150-200 SFM, .01-.0115 IPR

The insert I get the most success out of is an Iscar WNMG-432 TF IC908 with a .0312 radius. And the thing is our shop only really has two brands of inserts, Iscar and Sandvik. I've also wondered if a CNMG style insert would work better.. Anyways, I will appreciate any input on this post. If there is a different setup out there that works well for anybody I am interested in hearing it. I will try to answer questions as best I can but no promises, I've got a lot to learn!

Thanks!

Your surface footage sounds kinda high for hast x.

I'd start low, like 120sfm and keep bumping up the feedrate untill you experience some chipping or the spindle bogs, then back off a bit. Same idea with sfm, bump it up untill the insert starts to burn to quickly for your taste then back off a smidge.

Okay, I'll make I sure I give that a try. Thanks!

how is the insert failing now?

Make sure you inspect the insert before it has a complete failure, otherwise you won't really know what parameters to adjust.

Back