What's new
What's new

Turning plastics and controlling the chips

garyhlucas

Stainless
I did a little PVC turning today on the manual lathe. Chip wrapping drove me nuts! We do most of our round plastic parts on the CNC mill, using a saw on an arbor. Big pile of chips, you can go do something useful while it runs, no problem. So just curious, do you guys that do plastics on a lathe use live tooling for chip control? Seems like roughing ab OD with an endmill would really eliminate the chip wrapping problem. I'm not much of a lathe guy which is why I ask.

Strategic cuts to limit chip length (slotting operation)

Or a good shop vac plumbed thru a 55 gal drum.

Search, this topic has come up before.

Yes - I don't run much plastic, but with my more recent apps I was running UHMW and decided to try roughing it with a mill, and it werked SUPER!
Only turned the finish pass.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've never needed to do it but if I was having issues I would break the contour into 3/4-1" long sections and rough each individually then take a whole contour finish pass.

If I was aiming for ultimate efficiency I might long hand the roughing and add in micro-dwells; the same idea as disengaging the feed on a manual lathe to break long stringers.

The live tool is pretty efficient....

... and the pile of chips is nothing compared to that rats nest that you had a 1/2 hour ago!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

One of the things I learned here on PM is using an endmill to rough a slot close to your finish depth, then turn, in a live tooled lathe. That said, I don't get to deal with this problem much because I do Swiss, and 95% of my plastic work is PEEK, which you can feed just like aluminum with good results, and I also have directed high pressure coolant for every operation I deem it necessary.

One of the things I learned here on PM is using an endmill to rough a slot close to your finish depth, then turn, in a live tooled lathe. That said, I don't get to deal with this problem much because I do Swiss, and 95% of my plastic work is PEEK, which you can feed just like aluminum with good results, and I also have directed high pressure coolant for every operation I deem it necessary.

hy mr :) please can you provide more details about the endmill ? rough where, how ? the mill is paralel to Z ? and if the mill is shorter than the part ? just asking :)

about the PEEK : i craft from time to time some parts called PEEK, and i always wondered who called tham like that :) now i see, actually the client called them like that because of the material : he was also sending me the material :) nice once / thx :)

End mill a slot (can be narrow) parallel to the rod axis, not quite as deep as the final radius. Turn to final radius. Slot breaks the chip once/revolution.

This...Also run with your tool upside down and a ton of coolant. PVC is a pain because it basically melts and sticks to anything so if you keep it cool if will stay more solid and break up as it goes...I think the Tg is just above room temperature lol.

Excuse my innocence, but with a NC lathe, would it not be too much trouble to make a "broaching pass" with the spindle stopped, depth to equal the following turning pass?
It might require a custom grind on the tool tip, but hey! It's plastic!

Note:
I've got a 1/2 inch HSS bit with a hole EDM'd in one corner, The edge is honed right up to the hole. The plastic runs through that hole like a rabbit through sticker bush. Not so much for sharp corners, but with a vacuum hose against the dirty end, it's a plastic hog's dream!

Back