What's new
What's new

drill sharpener

Turbo Fab Supply was nice there....

Save for a real Darex one (the Drill Doctor line was sold off by them long ago), the goods all-in-ones are all that they have now, but the old M3, M4 and M5's are still out there on the used market. The M series are like a bench grinder with attachments, but work pretty darn well. We use the M5 fitted with CBN wheels, good for "standard" shop drilling and non-critical holes on the CNC's. Ours has the point splitting attachment which works very well, but if you need them ground to very close tolerances you need to adjust the depth stops after viewing the point on a comparator...and have just the right, consistant touch when grinding.

For real true high performance points on our Titex drills, we send those out to a local grinder for multi-axis cnc grinding...end up working better than the orginal grind too.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve is right. I have the M5 I bought new 25 or so years ago, CBN wheels, point splitter & even the left hand attachment. It will do all kinds of points. I even do flat bottom drills on it. You have to play with settings at first to get it right but after that it will do a good job.

I've used the Darex, Black Diamond and Worcester drill grinders. I prefer the build quality of the Black Diamond over the earlier Darex, but Darex has gotten better over the years. The Worcester was for bigger drills only, no fancy split-lip grinds.

I think the individual collets of the Black Diamond offer a more concentric and firmer grip of the drill. However, they are a much more expensive machine to buy. You get what you pay for.

With that said, if those Nachi drills are of a reasonable quantity you're better-off sending them back to Nachi for regrind.

dd 750

Just got one a few weeks ago. Not a heavy duty, high performance machine, but it works good. Sharpened a 3/4" drill and it came out good.

Wow this thread hasn't been deleted yet? Don must not have found it :) Mentioning a drill DR on PM is like trying to start a thread about a piece of Harbor freight or Grizzly equipment. It's doomed to the delete button. But before it does, Drill DR's are the biggest pieces of crap ever made. That company couldn't make a crayon sharpener for my 4 yr old to use that would work properly.

Did you learn anything?

If you can answer "yes", then you didn't waste our time.

FWIW ... I would rather sharpen them by hand than use a DDr.

I may be slower (not by much) but I can do a much better job.

Last edited:

Back